Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who has two thumbs and a wife who just got a starred Kirkus review for her upcoming first-ever hardcover novel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So how did your wife going about getting the book published? I might try that some day.
    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

She worked at it and worked at it and worked at it for years before getting up the courage to send in a manuscript to a publisher, who decided they liked it and wanted to publish it.
      "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
      "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

How many words?

Also, was that the first and only publisher she sent it to? Accepted first time?
        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

IIRC, what she sent was around 70-80000 words, and it was the first publisher she sent it to.
          "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
          "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Originally posted by Sava View Post
            AND YOU GAVE TGERRIBLE BLOWJOBS
            They always do...

Comment

Originally posted by Tupac Shakur View Post
              They always do...
              Yeah. I've yet to find a good combination of super-hot and great blowjob giver. The best I ever had was from this chubby korean chick. She got a DUI like 5 days after I met her. It was bad too. Like 3 times the limit or something. I forget. I don't mind drunk. But that was like... kill a family in a car accident drunk. That's a deal-breaker.
              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Guynemer View Post
                IIRC, what she sent was around 70-80000 words, and it was the first publisher she sent it to.
                Nice!

It must be good. From the little research I have done on the subject, I hear that it can take dozens of submissions before accepting.
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Mostly, each case is different. Some people start with novels, some with short stories. Some get accepted first time, some take 20 times. So much of it is luck, even if you have the skill (get the editor on a good day, AND get an editor who likes what you write style/genre wise, AND hit your genre/style at a good time...). It's a lot like applying for jobs, from what I've read; sometimes you get the first job you apply for, sometimes it takes 20 applications, and it doesn't matter how good you are (much).
                  <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                  I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

That's good to know.

I'm so self-critical... I find it hard to even get the stories onto the page because I've already made up my mind that they suck. Even if I had some modicum of success, I'd still think it was crap.
                    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

You just need to write. Even if you think it sucks. Write away and then edit it later. You can't do anything else until you've put some words on paper or a computer screen.
                      “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

i have terrible handwriting
                        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                        X