No announcement yet.

Iraq and Afghanistan War Cost 10 years on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So this is basically another 'told you so' thread...?
    Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Originally posted by OneFootInTheGrave View Post
      Yes - and any particular Iraqi dish you like? I am sure you already said that somewhere, but I don't think I read that before.
      I'm a sucker for the classics. Stuff like Masgouf (whole carp cooked over an open wood fire using sticks to prop up the fish so that no grill is needed to cook it), Kleicha (I'm not sure about the spelling but that's how it is pronounced. It's like a cinnamon roll but with date filling), the Asyrrian/Chaldean (they're the same thing with just minor religious differences) stuffed vegetables (where minced pickled vegetables, Bulger wheat, and spices are stuffed in peppers, eggplant, onions and tomatoes, then quickly braised in olive oil and sprinkled with powdered sumac), not to mention the traditional lamb with spiced saffron rice and flat bread (usually they add a bunch of other stuff to the rice, lemon juice, spices, and then serve the whole thing with a garlic yogurt sauce). Most of those are simple but tasty and can be had pretty cheaply. Of course falafals are big there too and like kabobs make up most of the street food.

Oh, and there are all the usual pan-Arab dishes but I was speaking about the ones specific to Iraq.
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Assyrian food is pretty much the same as the rest of Iraq & Syria but the main differences are the inclusion of pork into recipes and the fact that most villages grow their own grapes and produce wine. My impression of their wine wasn't all that favorable as it tended to be very sweet, too sweet really, as instead of growing wine grapes most of them grew table grapes to sell to the local Muslim population and then they'd make wine from the juice.

Oh, and though the west has seemingly learned about the Armenian genocide the fact is the Ottomans tried to kill off all of the Assyrians & Chaldean (they're the same people and they speak the same language, which is based on Aramaic but the Chaldean are in communion with the Catholic Church while the Assyrians retain the eastern rites) at the same time also because they were Christians so it is a real forgotten genocide.
        Last edited by Dinner; April 2, 2013, 11:07.

Comment

Oh, I forgot. Try Fasangoon, which is chicken in a pomegranate and walnut sauce, though I have seen quail versions of fasangoon at some of the local Iraqi restaurants. Usually they serve it with those purple pickled vegetables, some kind of rice (there are lots of different options on the rice), three or four different sauces, and some sort of salad. I found "summag" to be popular but it is essentially identical to the balkan cucumber salad I had so often in the former Yugoslavia. The Iraqi Christian places also serve alcoholic drinks with beer being popular but the traditional drink being Arak which is very similar to Ouzo in Greece or Raki in the Balkans. For non-alcoholic drinks (besides the ever present tea) there was this fruit juice yogurt mix which had rose petals floating it but I forget the name.
          Last edited by Dinner; April 2, 2013, 17:06.

Comment

Yeah, I feel sorry for all those Christians that are now being killed and persecuted and driven from their homes because of GWB. Iraq's forgotten victims...

Comment

Hang on. Moby, I thought you hated Christians?

Am I mistaken?

Comment

Yes you are indeed mistaken, as is usually the case.

Comment

Thanks! I will look for that somewhere... if I ever come across it, will try to ressurect this thread.
                  Speaking of old threads...anyone have a link to Oerdin's Iraq blog...I am sure it is probably buried in the archive somewhere.
                  "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Great stuff - thanks!

and that Iraq blog thread was one of the best ever we had here... should be stickied.
                    Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                    GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

that Iraq blog thread was one of the best ever we had here... should be stickied.
                      I totally agree. Where is RP when we need him?
                      "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Originally posted by MOBIUS View Post
                        Yes you are indeed mistaken, as is usually the case.
                        Aww shucks. Thanks Moby. Your implicit admission that I am not always mistaken is the nicest thing you have ever said to me.

Comment

I would also blog that post, Braindead, but I just don't give a damn.
                          "You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."--General Sir Charles James Napier

Comment

Good point Zev. This is a poly OT First. Moby said something nice! Well, nice by Moby standards.

Must be plenty of the finest smoking weed in Wales at the moment.

Comment

See, I'm not such a bad guy after all...

Comment

There are a lot of vets like this guy and worse it now takes 2 ****ing years for a vet just to sign up for the VA benefits to see a damn doctor yet Republicans want still more cuts.

Comment

Working...
                                X