This could change TV as we know it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Asher View Post
    How is this any different than iTunes revolutionizing TV with the same business model (which it did not)?
    Thank you, I was waiting to read this thread until someone posted succinctly summarizing why Oerdin's wrong yet again.

Comment

Why couldn't you do it?
      “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

How is this any different than iTunes revolutionizing TV with the same business model (which it did not)?
        The content would be available for any service which signs a deal with HBO. So instead of just only being able to go to iTunes you could potentionally be able to go to anyone one of dozens of sites. Yes, if more networks sign on to this sort of deal then that would revolutionize distribution of content, lead to more competition, and potentially lower prices for end consumers.
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

okay, yet another sign I'm getting old and that companies don't care about my demographic, which is watching reruns of Get Smart! on cable or free-to-air
          Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

I couldn't be bothered reading anything in this thread. But I did want to spam it.

Comment

YOU'RE WELCOME
              Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

I can't just add HBO to my service, I have to order the whole "premium channel" package which adds all the HBO, Showtime, Starz, Cinemax, etc., etc channels, over 30 additional channels, for an extra $30+ / month. That comes out to nearly $400 / year just to watch Game of Thrones. There is a website that was carrying seasons 1 and 2 for a mere $4 per episode, but I think they had to wait until the entire season had been run and rerun. Netflix just added season 2 about a month ago. Amazingly I managed to get all 5 discs already. I must have been nearly first in line.
                "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse View Post
                  okay, yet another sign I'm getting old and that companies don't care about my demographic, which is watching reruns of Get Smart! on cable or free-to-air
                  If you had Netflix you could rent the discs.
                  "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse View Post
                    Get Smart

I used to watch reruns of that show with my dad. Good times.
                    If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                    ){ :|:& };:

Comment

iTunes certainly had some positive effects, but I think the difference is that HBO is (at this point) primarily a content producer. Their value as an avenue to watch movies is almost zero - NetFlix removed most of that and iTunes/etc. removed the rest. They're well aware that their current marketshare rests in old people who are too dumb to use NetFlix, expensive 'first-to-air' deals that are only going to get more expensive, rich people who just get the whole package because they don't give a ****, and self-produced content.

Only the latter provides significant positive growth potential, so they need to expand their potential revenue stream as much as possible - thus either direct sales (ie, selling subscriptions to HBOgo.com or whatever) or deals with internet/etc. providers where everyone on the network gets access for a fee. Once they figure out how to do so without pissing off the cable companies - which they are likely close to being able to do - they will.

We can only hope that once they do, other companies with significant market power (ESPN/Disney/ABC/...) will do the same. Being able to watch live sports without a cable plan would be an incredible boon to cord-cutting.
                      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

The rub in this "news", of course, is that you will likely have to go through a cable internet provider, which signs a deal with HBO to allow for HBO Go with that ISP. However, I would tend to bet that cable internet providers would request that the charge for HBO Go is done through them (and costs more like $20-$25 a month) to offset people not paying for the cable service and the $10 a month HBO.
                        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                          Get Smart

I used to watch reruns of that show with my dad. Good times.
                          That's the second smallest gun I've ever seen!
                          No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk View Post
                            That's the second smallest gun I've ever seen!
                            Agent 99: Max, you're twice the man Agent 43 was!
                            If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                            ){ :|:& };:

Comment

I always did like Smart's Sunbeam Tiger with the built in Gatling gun. They should have opted for the larger version of Ford's V-8 though because why put the 260 in the car when the 289 would have fit?
                              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Working...
                              X