This could change TV as we know it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This could change TV as we know it.

HBO is floating the idea of selling its programs directly over the internet instead of just as part of a cable company contract. That means you wouldn't even have to pay the average of $70 per month for cable tv but still enjoy shows from HBO anyway (for a nominal fee). Honestly, this sounds like a smart move by HBO since cable subscriptions have been declining nation wide as people sign up for netflix's $8 per month service instead of shelling out ten times that amount for cable with pay channels.

Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

I don't do HBO. I have U-Verse though.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Your lose, dude, Game of Thrones is great as was Rome. HBO has some great shows.

Comment

Looks good on paper, but in reality it remains to be seen how much incremental revenue this could provide HBO.
        I'll give them credit for seeing the trends in how people view programming. This seems more like a protect your turf kind of move vs a big money maker.

It will be interesting to see if the public will be willing to pay "the nominal" fee for a single channel, even one as good as HBO.
        Many content providers fell in love with the concept of making people pay for the service on line, only to fall on their faces when people didn't see it the way they did

On the other hand, HBO is leading the way in pushing their programming to the international market, a REAL money maker for them, and one they pull off so well since they do have such great programming.
        Keep on Civin'
        RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Mmmm, TV Dinner.

Comment

I don't do HBO. I have pirate video sites.

Comment

I don't do HBO. I have Netflix, Hulu, Youtube and Crunchyroll. And PBS.
              No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

HBO packaged on my provider is like an extra $5-10 a month... and not worth it just for a few shows.

Meanwhile, usenet access is about that much... and I can download whatever I want.

The whole notion of IP is silly. Regardless of what the law says, broadcasting crap through the airwaves negates any moral "right" to monopolistic control for commercial purposes as far as I'm concerned.

The marketplace is a jungle. I have no problem with companies getting what they can where they can get it. Charge five bucks a minute for all I care. The hardcore anti-piracy people will be happy to support you.

If providers were smart, they'd worry about convenience versus defending some sort of moral idea. If it means that studios close because of such things, that's life. Then everyone (including pirates) loses. Piracy is a reality in the marketplace. The only way to truly get rid of it would involve far reaching draconian policies that would violate privacy laws. Either you go with the flow or drown.

Hate me all you want because I download stuff. It won't make me stop.
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk View Post
                  I don't do HBO. I have Netflix, Hulu, Youtube and Crunchyroll. And PBS.
                  Crunchyroll? Never heard of it.
                  A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

sickbeard and couchpotato ftw

MPAA and RIAA worked hard to close a bunch of indexing sites. Now we've got two services that are easier to use and are basically google for such content.
                    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I have netflix, but honestly, it sucks. It almost never has the shows I want or movies I want. I may stop getting it altogether once I finish a few series.
                      If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                      ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun View Post
                        Crunchyroll? Never heard of it.
                        It seems to be a website to watch anime.

Comment

Yes. It's a former pirate fansub site that went straight.
                          No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                            I have netflix, but honestly, it sucks. It almost never has the shows I want or movies I want. I may stop getting it altogether once I finish a few series.
                            WTF? Netflix is incredible. You clearly need better taste in TV and movies.

Comment

How is this any different than iTunes revolutionizing TV with the same business model (which it did not)?
                              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Working...
                              X