On-Topic Off-Topic Forum Thread: Rate'em! Civ's I-V

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On-Topic Off-Topic Forum Thread: Rate'em! Civ's I-V

Some absolute nut job put together an article that rates the Five main Civilization games. You'll see why he's a nut job below:

http://kotaku.com/5985186/lets-rank-...-best-to-worst

1. Civilization IV
    It was a close-run thing. As someone who plays epic maps to conclusion, the fact this game has "unit stacking" makes the endgame laborious, and Civ V's new unit design is a big reason I love it so much.

But I just couldn't ignore the fact that, outside of that, this is the perfect Civilization game. No wonder Civ V had to go making so many radical changes, because it was the only way a proper sequel could be justified. Even the little touches, the icing on the cake, were the best. Think the Grammy award-winning theme song, or Leonard Nimoy's narration, which peaks with his amazing "pig iron" intro.

2. Civilization V
    In many ways, this should be number one. Like I said above, the way units are arranged on the map was a revolution, and a welcome one for those pursuing military campaigns. The Gods & Kings expansion was the most logical and complete execution of religion the series has yet seen, allowing it to emerge as the separate cultural force that it is, rather than having it act as some form of sub-state diplomacy. The leader screens are some of the most beautiful things PC gaming has ever seen.

But the diplomacy...oh, God, the diplomacy. The computer AI in Civilization has always been a fickle beast, but the longer you played Civ V, the more you realised your opponents were absolutely bonkers, and no amount of adjustment or difficulty sliding could fix that.

3. Civilization III
    Implemented religion and, more importantly, national borders for the first time and did an admirable job of it. I know a lot of people who still think this is the best game in the series, and I appreciate why; you can almost look at it as the pinnacle of early Civ games, the perfection of the formula laid out by Sid Meier's original before IV and especially V started rolling up their sleeves and really messing with stuff.

Civ III also has, I think, the best map editor of the series. And even over a decade later, still looks damn pretty.

4. Civilization
    Yeah, I put the original above Civilization II. I shouldn't be, I know, and this is going to sound crazy, but do you know what I loved most about the original game? The full-screen imagery that for the most part has never been seen since. Think rioters marching in a city, or even better, the diplomacy system where you'd get to see medieval rulers in modern business suits.

That stuff was great. I miss that.

5. Civilization II
    Sorry, Civ II. You were, and in many ways still are, an awesome game. Your Second World War scenario is maybe the most underrated joy to be found in the entire series, as it's good enough to stand as its own game. But somebody had to come last, and that somebody is you.

Now I am sure that there will be some dissention among us polytoners, but I don't think ANY of us would come up with his particular form of utter mind-numbing retardation. So, post your rankings and be prepared to defend it!
    Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
    1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Well, of course I'll go first Don! Thank you!

1) Civ III
    2) Civ IV
    3) Civ II
    4) Civ
    5) Civ V

I think alot of the older fans gave up on Civ III to quickly. With Conquests and the fan made mods, the game was and still is pretty amazing. Resources and National borders were both great additions. The only possible knock I can really think of is over powered artillery type units. When used in mass, you can beat just about any AI. But seeing as I am primarily a builder, this flaw only makes it easier for me to build. And speaking of building, I have to mention the Rise and Rule mod. It doubles just about everything: units, buildings, wonders, small wonders, tech, governments, lux resources, strategic resources, bonus resources. Hell, it even adds difficulty settings.
    Last edited by Donegeal; February 19, 2013, 11:32.
    Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
    1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

In terms of enjoyment:

IV > II > V > I > III
      "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

4>3>5 (never played 2 or 1)
        You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

4-2-3-1-5
          "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

SMAC/X-Civ II- Couldn't be arsed to play the others after trying the abomination known as III.
            "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

IV
              II

BIG DROP OFF

I
              VI
              III
              Keep on Civin'
              RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

IV
                III
                II
                V
                I
                "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

IV > II

First came to the game with CIV II and smugly notes that I never even bothered with III or V...

My guilty secret however is CtP...
                  Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

I liked the mythological and space exploration games in Test Of Time....

III was rather frustrating except for some of the scenarios. IV and I were fun but II is my first love after SMAX/C...
                    Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Originally posted by Ming View Post
                      IV
                      II

BIG DROP OFF

I
                      VI
                      III
                      Got some insider information you'd care to share with us Ming?
                      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

III>II

Still playing my own personally heavily modded version of III. Haven't played the others.
                        No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

4,2,5,1,3, though I could live with 4,5,2,1,3 or 4,5,2,3,1. Ranking 2 any lower than third is a travesty. 1 isn't really fair, because it was a game ahead of its time.

If you ranked these relative to their time, then 2,1,4,5,3 is probably correct.

5 I don't object to rating anywhere on the scale, personally. Some people really really like it. It has strengths and weaknesses, but its weaknesses are glaring for those who like those parts of the game. I've always believed Civ is a tick/tock series; odd numbered iterations introduce dramatic changes and usually get them wrong in some ways, while even numbered iterations perfect the concept. V introduced some things that are for the better - hexes, 1UPT - just didn't get some other things right that are important to many people. Its tactics, however, really are lightyears ahead of Civ IV's tactics; even imperfect 1UPT is way better than SOD. I personally really enjoyed playing it during the time I played it (1 year old = no civ for snoopy...); 4 is a far better multiplayer game (among other things, it has functional multiplayer!) but 5 is a better game if you want to play primarily tactically and single player.
                          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

1UPT is atrocious, even Shafer admits it was a mistake and leads to broken gameplay. To rank V anything but last on objective gameplay is frankly wrong; subjectively, it just lets people know to ignore you when talking about good games. Also, anyone who comments on the tactics being better in V really doesn't understand warfare in IV.
                            You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Civ III

Civ II

Civ I

Civ IV

When I bought Civ IV and tried it, I started losing interest, but I thought if I buy the expansions then maybe the game will improve and re-spark my interest. Alas, it wasn't so. So I stopped with Civ IV, and never bought Civ V.
                              A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Working...
                              X