Three Cheers for Britain's Defense of Freedom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by snoopy369 View Post
    However, establishing an agency to police such things outside of our normal police/judiciary is probably a bad idea. All of the things they do wrong now are already punishable.

By the police who have been shown to be in a corrupt relationship with the press?

Right now an independent regulatory body sounds great. It's no more sinister than the regulatory bodies of every other profession, and might just turn journalism into a respected profession.
    The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

evil Brussels strikes again
      Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Ken, in terms of libel/slander, UK is way way way ahead of the US in that department. I'm not talking about other lawsuits, which are not germane.

It's not paranoid, though. Government agencies constantly expand their remit, because they have to - that's how they survive. Give someone a job that takes up 20 hours a week - you think they're going to return the other half of their paycheck? Heck no, they're going to find something to do with those other 20 hours - and if they're trying to make a good career, they'll do something like look into questionable things that aren't reported to them, or whatever - and you end up with the Ministry of Truth. I really don't think it's that farfetched, over time (not talking 5 years here, but in fifty? How many people would've believed in Homeland Security in the 1960s...)
        America does have a problem with government employees working too hard.
        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
          Plus, they are not criminal offenses.
          Seriously, where do you get this stuff?
          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

I really don't think it's that farfetched, over time (not talking 5 years here, but in fifty? How many people would've believed in Homeland Security in the 1960s...)
            Homeland Security wasn't a result of bureaucracy expanding over time though, it was a direct result of America freaking out over 9/11.

Comment

Originally posted by kentonio View Post
              You do know that a lot less people get sued over here right?
              Not for libel. American companies getting sued for libel/slander in British courts is a huge problem and the state of New York has if I recall passed laws making it illegal for businesses based in the state to pay damages in foreign cases concerning speech.

Yeah, which is ridiculous. I've never understood why the hell you do that.
              Yes, it is ridiculous.

As HC said, also, libel and slander aren't criminal in this country. That is a key distinction. You can't be prosecuted for it.

Comment

As HC said, also, libel and slander aren't criminal in this country. That is a key distinction. You can't be prosecuted for it.
                You two have what, 5 years left in college?

Done googling yet?
                Last edited by DaShi; January 22, 2013, 22:43. Reason: Added taunt
                "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by regexcellent View Post
                  Not for libel. American companies getting sued for libel/slander in British courts is a huge problem and the state of New York has if I recall passed laws making it illegal for businesses based in the state to pay damages in foreign cases concerning speech.

Link please.
                  You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Ken, in terms of libel/slander, UK is way way way ahead of the US in that department. I'm not talking about other lawsuits, which are not germane.

It's not paranoid, though. Government agencies constantly expand their remit, because they have to - that's how they survive. Give someone a job that takes up 20 hours a week - you think they're going to return the other half of their paycheck? Heck no, they're going to find something to do with those other 20 hours - and if they're trying to make a good career, they'll do something like look into questionable things that aren't reported to them, or whatever - and you end up with the Ministry of Truth. I really don't think it's that farfetched, over time (not talking 5 years here, but in fifty? How many people would've believed in Homeland Security in the 1960s...)
                    Have you worked for a government department? Can't say that I believe you have, because that's not what'd happen with people with too much time on their hands. You seem to think that anyone with spare time is going out of his way to infringe on other domains. In reality, these people will 1) do whatever the **** they want, be it reading newspapers or other kinds of tomfoolery, or 2) check whether they can help a colleague. Most likely they'll do nothing. The cliché of civil servants cutting corners is true, but that happens everywhere really.
                    "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
                    "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

Originally posted by Krill View Post
                      Link please.

My mistake, it was Congress that considered it. I remember reading in the Rochester D&C that NYS was too but I can't find a link.

Comment

Yeah, thought such a law wasn't likely to work well...Singh won his case BTW.
                        You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Working...
                        X