• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Three Cheers for Britain's Defense of Freedom

Seriously. WTF EU?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...urnalists.html

Leveson: EU wants power to sack journalists
    A European Union report has urged tight press regulation and demanded that Brussels officials are given control of national media supervisors with new powers to enforce fines or the sacking of journalists.

The “high level” recommendations that will be used to draft future EU legislation also attack David Cameron for failing to automatically implement proposals by the Lord Justice Leveson inquiry for a state regulation of British press.

A "high level" EU panel, that includes Latvia’s former president and a former German justice minister, was ordered by Neelie Kroes, European Commission vice-president, last year to report on "media freedom and pluralism". It has concluded that it is time to introduce new rules to rein in the press.

“All EU countries should have independent media councils,” the report concluded.

“Media councils should have real enforcement powers, such as the imposition of fines, orders for printed or broadcast apologies, or removal of journalistic status.”

As well as setting up state regulators with draconian powers, the panel also recommended that the European Commission be placed in overall control in order to ensure that the new watchdogs do not breach EU laws.

“The national media councils should follow a set of European-wide standards and be monitored by the Commission to ensure that they comply with European values,” the report said.

The EU report praises Lord Justice Leveson’s controversial proposals and attacks politicians, including the Prime Minister, that have questioned state regulation of newspapers.

“The gross abuses revealed in the Leveson enquiry have led its author to propose much more stringent institutional supervision, where the media would be much more closely monitored,” the report said.

“That judge Leveson’s recommendations should have been rejected out of hand by some politicians in high office, is not very reassuring.”

Mrs Kroes last night hailed the report’s “concrete ideas for action” as providing “exactly what I was looking for”.

“Ensuring the independence of regulators across the member states and their cooperation will be high on my agenda,” she said.

“The recommendations in this report are an important basis for the tough and principled discussion we urgently need in the EU.”

The report’s recommendations have sparked anger in Britain, a country that is often criticised by European officials for its media coverage of EU issues.

Douglas Carswell, the Conservative MP for Clacton, attacked the report for making an “extraordinary, and deeply disturbing proposal”.

“Having EU officials overseeing our free press - and monitoring newspapers to ensure they comply with "European values" - would be quite simply intolerable,” he said.

“This is the sort of mind-set that I would expect to find in Iran, not the West. This kooky idea tells us little about the future of press regulation. It does suggest that the European project is ultimately incompatible with the notion of a free society.”

Nigel Farage, the leader of Ukip, compared the proposals to “Orwell's 1984”. “This is a flagrant attack on press freedom. To hear that unelected bureaucrats in Brussels want the power to fine and suspend journalists is just outrageous,” he said.
    "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Yeah, that'll never happen here. To be fair I'd be more interested to know whether the report is actually being taken on board by the commission before getting too excited. It sounds like one of a very long list of stories where some people have a dumbass idea which no-one will ever follow up on, and it's used by the anti-EU side as a weapon.

Comment

Given how much better run the United Kingdom is than pretty much all of Europe, save perhaps Germany, could you explain why you would want to export your governance to them?
      If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
      ){ :|:& };:

Comment

We're probably behind Netherlands, Belgium, Sweden, Denmark, Austria, Germany, Finland
        Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
        Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
        We've got both kinds

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
          Given how much better run the United Kingdom is than pretty much all of Europe, save perhaps Germany, could you explain why you would want to export your governance to them?
          I don't know, why would I?

Comment

I wasn't aware we were.
            Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
            We've got both kinds

Comment

Export was the wrong word, I meant outsource
              If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
              ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Oh in that case, to make massive profits for Party donors.
                We've got both kinds

Comment

I'm a professional. I am subject to professional standards of conduct. If I break them due to acting contrary to the public interest, I can be barred from working in my profession.

I think this is a good thing, because I am an ethical professional. If I feel I am treated unfairly by those professional regulatory bodies I have legal rights to appeal, as is my right as a citizen.

Given the rampant corruption and appalling illegal behaviour that has been demonstrated by the British media in recent years, I think it would be a good idea to see the same professional standards extended to journalists.
                  The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

It's also not surprising that the journalists don't agree.
                    We've got both kinds

Comment

Just think- they might have to stop hacking phones and bribing the police.
                      The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

The funny thing is - this story is that actually someone Europe is reading a report commissioned by the British Government after an extensive independent enquiry paid for with British government money , seeing the findings and thinking that we came up with something really good.

It's not EU dictating to Britain, it's us influencing them.
                        We've got both kinds

Comment

Those who have fallen foul of some sections of the British press have been giving their reaction to the publication of Lord Justice Leveson's report into the country's media practices.

Comic actor Steve Coogan, a victim of phone hacking who gave evidence at the Leveson Inquiry, wrote in the Guardian: "By rejecting Leveson's call for statutory regulation, Cameron has hung the victims of crime out to dry. He has passed on the opportunity to make history. He has revealed there isn't an ounce of substance in his body, that he has one eye on courting the press for elections in years to come, and doesn't know the meaning of conviction.

"Quite simply, if future regulation is not backed by statute, Leveson's report is nothing more than a large slap on the wrist. But this is a price Cameron is prepared to pay, because it is not the victims of crime who will get him re-elected.

How free is the press, if it's in bed with the government? ( regardless of political party in power). Free from any shred of credibility as in Fox News? Daily Mail is in that category and News of the World was even worse! as if that is actually possible, they were the "fall guy" newspapers for the way that the "free press" functiones in UK, the methods which have probably gone underground for a bit, until the tide passes.

Clearly something should be done, and "free" press is not so "free" if not regulated after all (shocking I know, like the banks), and if we needed any proof of that concept we only need to look across the pond. Look at all the media companies, where pretty much everyone is running a certain agenda, with Fox News being the poster child of the "freedom from facts" or any retributions for being a fairytale news producer.

Will anything be done? Certainly not, and ibn principle the population likes their newstertainment to shape the view of the world we are in.

It'd be very funy if in something like Monty Phyton.
                          Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                          GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

I have no problems with punishing companies which break the law or deliberately lie while calling it news. Especially if they're habitual offenders.
                            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

It's not the government's job to decide what's true and false, and then punish people for saying things that are false. If you can't see how that is rife with opportunities for abuse then you're blind or retarded.

Comment

Working...
                              X