Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Top marginal tax rate in US now ~65%

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Kidlicious
    replied
    Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat View Post
    You still can if you're stupid. There's also phaseouts on the standard deduction and on the lower tiers of rates - that's where the 39.6% rate comes in and then goes out once the phaseout is complete.
    The AMT (added) can be substantial in dollars, but not that much in %, can it? I'm thinking 5 or 10% of agi at the most.
    Last edited by Kidlicious; January 3, 2013, 00:44.

    Leave a comment:


  • DaShi
    replied
    I, for one, long to live in a country without a middle class screwing it up.

    Leave a comment:


  • MrFun
    replied
    Originally posted by DinoDoc View Post
    You dream of only having 35% of your income for your own use?
    With a high income like that, I would not know what to do with all my money after I pay 35 - 50 percent. I'd be a happy camper.

    Leave a comment:


  • MichaeltheGreat
    replied
    Originally posted by Dr Strangelove View Post
    Is there a ceiling on the income taxable for national insurance? In the US only the first $110,000 is taxable for social security and medicare.
    I think the medicare cap is gone.

    Leave a comment:


  • MichaeltheGreat
    replied
    Originally posted by DinoDoc View Post
    You dream of only having 35% of your income for your own use?
    If you can show me one live example of anyone in the US paying that. FICA caps out, and it's your problem if you choose to live in a city that has a local income tax. Worst case in the People's Republic of California is you can get to around 53% combined marginal tax rate, if you're making $1 million a year and a short form filer and have no capital gains and you don't do jack **** to defer income or reduce liability. Only 470k a year after tax? Lions and Tigers and Bears, oh my!

    Leave a comment:


  • MichaeltheGreat
    replied
    Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
    There's a phase out on the alternative minimum tax, but it's put in to discourage married people from filing seperate. So they file jointly. No one pays anything like 60% tax in the US.
    You still can if you're stupid. There's also phaseouts on the standard deduction and on the lower tiers of rates - that's where the 39.6% rate comes in and then goes out once the phaseout is complete.

    Leave a comment:


  • Guynemer
    replied
    Yes, if I had that much income in the first place.

    Also, the person doing the punishing in question may or may not bear a striking resemblance to Christina Hendricks. I can neither confirm nor deny this.

    Leave a comment:


  • DinoDoc
    replied
    Originally posted by Guynemer View Post
    I would love to have the "problem" of being in the top tax bracket. I dream of being that punished.
    You dream of only having 35% of your income for your own use?

    Leave a comment:


  • Guynemer
    replied
    I would love to have the "problem" of being in the top tax bracket. I dream of being that punished.

    Leave a comment:


  • Krill
    replied

    Leave a comment:


  • Dr Strangelove
    replied
    Originally posted by MikeH View Post
    The numbers seem nice and low for you.

    I pay 40% on earnings above £32k and 50% on anything I would earn above £150k (though that's dropping to 45% in april).
    + 12-14% national insurance
    + 20% sales tax on most things.
    + vast additional duties on fuel, booze etc.
    Is there a ceiling on the income taxable for national insurance? In the US only the first $110,000 is taxable for social security and medicare.

    Leave a comment:


  • Kidlicious
    replied
    Originally posted by Dauphin View Post
    OK, all you've actually told me is that you don't understand phaseouts.
    There's a phase out on the alternative minimum tax, but it's put in to discourage married people from filing seperate. So they file jointly. No one pays anything like 60% tax in the US.

    Leave a comment:


  • Dauphin
    replied
    Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
    First gross income is adjusted. We call that agi. From agi deductions are made to taxable income. The marginal tax rate is applied to your taxable income, not to you gross income or agi. I don't know where KH is coming up with those numbers. They don't make sense.

    There's been no change in adjustments, only to deductions. What I'm saying is that no one actually pays 35%, but without deductions someone could pay as much as 35%.
    OK, all you've actually told me is that you don't understand phaseouts.

    Leave a comment:


  • Ben Kenobi
    replied
    Well just a month ago you were a poor teacher on $10k a year. Now you're apparently a business owner struggling under a heavy tax burden. This seems.. odd.
    I've always owned my own business since I graduated. I haven't stopped taking clients...

    Leave a comment:


  • Felch
    replied
    KH knows about stacking paper to the ceiling the same way that I know about getting high. From experience.

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X