The Pacific island that never was and why you should believe not Google Earth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Muwahaha!! YOU WILL NEVER FIND MY ISLAND

Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

To avoid copywrite infringement, Googlemaps routinely put in 'easter eggs' in the form of false place names, streets, geographic features etc. I live 2 blocks from a street that doesn't exist and never has.
      There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

or so you tell us, or Google tells you!
        Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Comment

An out-of-town friend of mine, using turn-by-turn navigation ended up in a parking lot near a sports field three blocks away. He couldn't turn down the non existent street. Descartes would be baffled.
          There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

an evil plot against the cartesians

Comment

an evil plot against the cataceans
              Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
              GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Sandy Island has been on charts for over a century, long before Google was around. What ever error put in on the maps was back before 1908, maybe as far back as sailing ship days.
                Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
                Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
                "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
                From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

what I said...

Comment

What would copyright infringement have to do with Google Maps? They're not using copyrighted information, unless street names can be copyrighted (or trademarked, more likely) in your area, which would be ... wrong. In general street names (and even place names) are public information since they're visible by a normal person walking down the street...
                    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

You are correct Snoopy, it has nothing to do with copyright - interesting how some people are willing to deify Google's mistakes..

Comment

GoogleMaps are copywritten. They put in bits of false information so they will know if someone else is copying their copywritten material without their permission. Problem arises when someone completely unfamiliar with an area uses these maps for navigation.

Comment

the articles say that's what map makers always did, although I don't think that stacks up entirely for Google if you think about it

Comment

Working...
                          X