What happened to the penny?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And not the least bit tacky!
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Tacky would be the driveway at the White House.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Penny (knock,knock,knock)...
        There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

Penny who?
          Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
          RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

I once dated a girl called Penny. I always knew I would come in to money.
            One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

This is clearly the fault of trickle down government.
              "You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."--General Sir Charles James Napier

Comment

Originally posted by regexcellent View Post
                Canada abolished its $1 bill. I'm not inclined to trust Canadian advice on currency denominations.
                Coins are more durable.
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
                  Coins are more durable.
                  Coins suck. They're heavy. So what if they're durable? I don't hold on to bills for years and years. Replacing $1 bills over and over isn't such a great expense for the government that it's worth trading all that convenience and economy activity that having a convenient currency denomination provides.

Comment

It's also why Canada is so far ahead of America when it comes to electronic transaction rates.

I can't remember the last time I paid in cash.

Comment

Asher's weed guy takes Visa? Canada sounds awesome.
                      John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Lots of people use email transfers these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
                          It's also why Canada is so far ahead of America when it comes to electronic transaction rates.

I can't remember the last time I paid in cash.
                          First of all, no it's not.

Second, I paid in cash about...oh, 15 minutes ago, when I used a vending machine. And at around noon today, when I bought some office supplies.

Besides, having good electronic transfers isn't justification for something as dumb as a $1 coin.

Comment

It's not stupid.

The GAO has said the US would save billions by switching to a one-dollar coin as Canada has.

The US government just likes wasting money. Maybe you guys should suck it up.

Should U.S. have a loonie? Whatever would we do without something we can call the greenback?

A new report by the U.S. Government Accountability Office recommends replacing the U.S. dollar bill with a coin similar to Canada's loonie . Friday's report, the latest of several, points out the billions of dollars the U.S. would save, although Americans aren't all that keen on the idea.

The suggestion is that Congress do it anyway, as Canada did despite public opposition. Americans would soon get over it, the GAO says.

"In Canada and the U.K., the public also preferred low-denomination notes to coins, but the governments nevertheless switched from notes to coins to achieve financial benefits," the report says. "While the public initially resisted these transitions, opposition dissipated over time with no alternative to the note."

This marks the fourth or fifth time in about 20 years that the GAO has reported on the issue, finding each time that the government would save money. (No doubt that, by this point, those savings would be eroded by the costs of the never-ending studies.)

The GAO found that, because coins are more durable that paper and don't need to be replaced as often, the government could save about $5.5-billion over 30 years. But to make it work, the government would have to stop producing notes to leave no alternative.

There are actually five different $1 coins in the U.S. now, including the Eisenhower coin, the Susan B. Anthony coin, and the Sacagawea coin, along with the Presidential and Native American coin series. Because of "limited public demand," the Federal Reserve has more than 1 billion $1 coins sitting in storage.

Some interesting tidbits from the findings:

"The federal government experiences a financial gain when it issues notes or coins because both forms of currency usually cost less to produce than their face values."

Canada estimated the conversion to the loonie in 1987 would save $175-million over 20 years, but later found it saved $450-million between 1987 and 1991 alone.
                            "Among the rationales for replacing notes for coins cited by foreign government officials and experts are the cost savings to governments derived from lower production costs and the decline over time of the purchasing power of currency due to inflation." The U.S. dollar, for example, now has the buying power of a quarter in 1975.
                            "It is common for people to take coins out of their pockets and store them at the end of each day rather than retain them in their wallets as they do notes, for use the next day. These factors cause coins to circulate with less frequency than notes."
                            "Senior officials at the Federal Reserve and Mint told us the increased circulation of $1 coins could increase the risk of counterfeiting, and senior Secret Service officials told us that counterfeiting of coins is an ongoing problem in the U.K. ... In Canada, however, counterfeiting is minimal."

Comment

"In Canada and the U.K., the public also preferred low-denomination notes to coins, but the governments nevertheless switched from notes to coins to achieve financial benefits," the report says. "While the public initially resisted these transitions, opposition dissipated over time with no alternative to the note."
                              So the US is a democracy while Canada and the UK have their societies engineered from the top down?

$1 coins are already available and no one wants to use them. Spending a few billion on something that hundreds of millions of people prefer is not a waste.

Comment

The US could save money by not minting any more of those goddamn $1 coins. The fascists try to give them as change at metro stops and have parking meters take them downtown to try to convince us that they are worth the hassle. They aren't.

Have you ever tried to pay for something with a US$1 coin? The cashier looks at you like you are a space alien or some other undesirable freak. Then he tries to find space for it in the cash register and the line gets held up and you are now branded a menace to society.
                                If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                                ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Working...
                                X