Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Election Day be a national holiday?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by regexcellent View Post
    Forcing people to vote is a ridiculous idea. If you don't care enough to vote, we don't want your opinion.
    It's not really ridiculous, Australia do it quite successfully. I'm a little torn on it personally, but I think it might well help to impress on people that politics is not some intellectual game you can just ignore, but is what drives the fabric of your country. Everyone has a stake in that whether they realize it or not.

Comment

Amazingly, governments retain a lot of daft things which are merely throwbacks to an earlier era. Like those airplane safety briefings.

Comment

On the other hand it gives a full day of preparation to stock up on ammo to protect against the inevitable looting and rioting.
        "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Oh that's a good point. I'd better load my rifle, be right back.

Comment

Amazingly, governments retain a lot of daft things which are merely throwbacks to an earlier era.
            Yeah, but that isn't a reason to not re-examine them when they are clearly causing modern day problems.

Comment

Forcing people to vote is a ridiculous idea. If you don't care enough to vote, we don't want your opinion.It would ensure the Democrats win every election.
              Fixed to the real reason it'd never happen...
              <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
              I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

I think people who pay over 20% income tax should vote only.

**** you, Mitt, you unpatriotic freeloader.
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I support having Election Day as a national holiday.

If there are a lot of people who will enjoy that day off from work, but will not vote, I can tolerate that if it means that those who do vote can do it more easily with Election Day as a national holiday.
                  A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Only White male Landowner should be allowed to vote, just like the Founding Fathers intended.
                    Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Comment

I really don't understand why don't you vote on a Sunday. In Argentina, all elections are on Sundays, and I'm not aware of any christian complaint about it.

Also, it lets us use schools for the polling booths without interrupting classes.
                      Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                        Can't, it's on a tuesday. Looks like we'll just have to make it a four day weekend, right?

Nov 11 is a holiday in some places regardless of what day of the week it is.

Also, see the minor festival of Christmas.
                        (\__/)
                        (='.'=)
                        (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by MRT144 View Post
                          I think so. Just because I like having more time off from work.
                          Invalid poll. I would have voted "Yes". Ironic that a a thread about elections has no poll.
                          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by N35t0r View Post
                            I really don't understand why don't you vote on a Sunday. In Argentina, all elections are on Sundays, and I'm not aware of any christian complaint about it.

Also, it lets us use schools for the polling booths without interrupting classes.
                            We use churches as polling booths .
                            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

We also use schools... which are in some areas given the day off. Which I would note actually makes it _harder_ for people to vote (since they don't have free daycare, ie, schools)...
                              <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                              I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by kentonio View Post
                                Why not just have weekend voting?
                                We kinda do, with early and absentee voting.
                                No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Working...
                                X