Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are people cool with Aztec human sacrifice and not Spanish colonialism?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why are people cool with Aztec human sacrifice and not Spanish colonialism?

Every Columbus day, I see facebook statuses about celebrating Columbus day by going to someone's house and saying it's mine. I post something like to be fair, I'm glad the Aztecs aren't doing that human sacrifice thing anymore...

And I get lambasted or my post deleted.

What the ****?

Is it un-PC to talk about Aztec brutality?
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

We don't have a Montezuma Day celebrating him. Or any other Aztec. They are rightfully not portrayed as heroes in our culture. Columbus was a horrible person and the fact that some of the unintended consequences of his actions were good does not mean we should have a holiday celebrating him. You could probably come up with some dumb reasons to celebrate Hitler's birthday, but don't. Just don't.

GODWIN

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
      Every Columbus day, I see facebook statuses about celebrating Columbus day by going to someone's house and saying it's mine. I post something like to be fair, I'm glad the Aztecs aren't doing that human sacrifice thing anymore...

And I get lambasted or my post deleted.

What the ****?

Is it un-PC to talk about Aztec brutality?
      I'm pretty sure Columbus has nothing to do with the Aztecs. Your comment would be appropriate on Cortez Day, but I don't think anybody celebrates Cortez Day.
      <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Originally posted by gribbler View Post
        We don't have a Montezuma Day celebrating him. Or any other Aztec. They are rightfully not portrayed as heroes in our culture. Columbus was a horrible person and the fact that some of the unintended consequences of his actions were good does not mean we should have a holiday celebrating him. You could probably come up with some dumb reasons to celebrate Hitler's birthday, but don't. Just don't.
        You're saying Mexican-Americans don't celebrate the Aztecs?
        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by loinburger View Post
          I'm pretty sure Columbus has nothing to do with the Aztecs
          He also had nothing to do with Spanish colonialism then.

No. His discovery opened the door to all of it and that includes the conquest of the Aztec.

Comment

You're saying Mexican-Americans don't celebrate the Aztecs?
            That's not an endorsement of every aspect of Aztec society. And they can't change their heritage, while we have plenty of other far more deserving individuals in our past we could celebrate.

Comment

People are cool with Aztec human sacrifice?!! WTF - Philly is a horrific place, isn't it?
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

No. His discovery opened the door to all of it and that includes the conquest of the Aztec.
                America could have been discovered without him. The Portuguese probably would have discovered Brazil eventually.

Comment

"Happy Einstein day , enjoy your hydrogen bombs you murder-lover. No, sorry, Einstein is equivalent to Oppenheimer and Teller - Albert Speer has decreed it."

Comment

I'm pretty sure Columbus has nothing to do with the Aztecs. Your comment would be appropriate on Cortez Day, but I don't think anybody celebrates Cortez Day.
                    There's Counter-Columbus Day

Comment

There's Counter-Columbus Day
                      Which is celebrated in the United States, where the Aztecs famously performed zero human sacrifices.

Comment

Many people conceive of the Western or European world and civilisation as being "more" evil than those of others: more rapacious, cruel, racist, etc. Yet it was Western countries that first recognised the evils of imperialism, colonialism, and slavery. So Aztec human sacrifice is not fashionable or "politically correct" because it undermines the self-conception of those whom you discuss it with. If the coming of the West in South America ended human sacrifice and the terrors of the Aztec culture, how can a man centre his entire moral conception of the world on the idea that the West is somehow worse?
                        "You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."--General Sir Charles James Napier

Comment

Which is celebrated in the United States, where the Aztecs famously performed zero human sacrifices.
                          Dia de la Raza?

Comment

American holiday named after him and did not put a foot in the USA.

Comment

Originally posted by Zevico View Post
                              Many people conceive of the Western or European world and civilisation as being "more" evil than those of others: more rapacious, cruel, racist, etc. The irony being of course that they themselves are usually members of Western societies. Aztec human sacrifice is not fashionable to talk about because it undermines the self-conception of those whom you discuss it with. If the coming of the West ended human sacrifice, how can a man centre his entire moral conception of the world on the idea that the West is evil?
                              Troll rating: 0/10
                              If you actually thought that anyone centers their entire moral conception of the world around the idea that the West is evil, you would belong in a mental institution.

Comment

Working...
                              X