The Rapture?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Rapture?

(I'm not sure this is the crowed to ask but it's worth a try)

I saw a documentary on Evangelical Christians and was wondering how prevalent is this belief in a Rapture.
    I'm curious because I'm not familiar with it down here in my part of the country. Do you have any ideas or thoughts on the subject?

Evangelical Christians tend to believe it. It is considered a heresy in mainline Protestantism, Catholic, and Orthodox belief.

I consider it to be a ridiculous misreading of Scripture, dovetailed with the other misreading of Scripture that our bodies are evil and our spirits are good (when in fact, our bodies and spirits are tied together as one and that's what makes us whole - ie, Genesis 2).
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

It's difficult to make a blanket statement about those who believe in the Rapture because it's probably only the stupid/evil/obnoxious ones who wear their religions on their sleeves, but that being said, a lot of very stupid/evil/obnoxious people believe in the Rapture, e.g. "I can't wait for the Rapture to occur so that I can sit up in Heaven and watch you and all the other sinners suffer."
      <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Does anyone else find the "Warning: In case of rapture, this vehicle will be unmanned" bumper stickers a bit prideful?
        Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

It's also sexist
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Well, so is Christianity.
            "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by loinburger View Post
              It's difficult to make a blanket statement about those who believe in the Rapture because it's probably only the stupid/evil/obnoxious ones who wear their religions on their sleeves, but that being said, a lot of very stupid/evil/obnoxious people believe in the Rapture, e.g. "I can't wait for the Rapture to occur so that I can sit up in Heaven and watch you and all the other sinners suffer."
              good point

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
                Does anyone else find the "Warning: In case of rapture, this vehicle will be unmanned" bumper stickers a bit prideful?
                true

Comment

Just the opposite.
                  I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                  - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
                    Just the opposite.
                    How is it not prideful to assume you will be one of the saved?

Comment

Just the opposite.
                      People with that bumper sticker are essentially claiming to know the will of God. If that's not pride, I don't know what is.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                        Evangelical Christians tend to believe it. It is considered a heresy in mainline Protestantism, Catholic, and Orthodox belief.
                        I'm not sure what Protestants you are refering to. Heresy? I've never even heard a protestant ever use that word except when talking about the history of the catholic church.
                        I consider it to be a ridiculous misreading of Scripture, dovetailed with the other misreading of Scripture that our bodies are evil and our spirits are good (when in fact, our bodies and spirits are tied together as one and that's what makes us whole - ie, Genesis 2).
                        Jesus said that wickedness comes from the HEART of men. Paul said, live according to the spirit, not the flesh. The flesh is what harbors the sinful nature, which Paul talked about. He said that he does what he doesn't want to do, because of his flesh. Clearly they are opposed to each other, not tied together.

What is this about Genesis 2?

Comment

What is this about Genesis 2?
                          It's the sequel, it has 25% more explosions.

Comment

Originally posted by kentonio View Post
                            How is it not prideful to assume you will be one of the saved?
                            The intention is not to brag. It is to convince others to believe.

Comment

People with that bumper sticker are essentially claiming to know the will of God. If that's not pride, I don't know what is.
                              If I knew how to get $1 million would I be proud for sharing the information with you?

Comment

Working...
                              X