No announcement yet.

Samsung vs Apple: Apple wins, over $1B in damages awarded

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TLDR but sounds like investing in lawyers - vs. technology per se - has won the day for apple.

I can see the suckiness of that, though I know next to nothing about the actual development of multitouch technology. Seems like the core ideas are pretty old. But my first experiences with multitouch gesture libraries were Apple devices.

Tough to judge, since anytime Apple wins a court case of any sort, it really piises off Asher.
    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Yeah, a rare drunk night for me.
      Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
      RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Well, everyone who tries to prove that too much freedom in the ability to patent (almost) everything isn´t an accelarator for prograss, but rather a brake, will find enough proof in this lawsuit

Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

I used to be responsible for IP trade policy for the Australian government

I'll leave that frightening thought with yoo all
          Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Isn't Samsung Apple's main supplier of screens for the various devices?
            If I were Samsung I would tell them to go **** themselves. It would take at least a year before they can find sufficient replacement. Apple will be dead if they can't produce devices for a year or produce only significantly poorer quality devices.
            Quendelie axan!

Comment

So who owns the patent for using your eyes to look at the smart phone screen?

Comment

First Google wins against Oracle, then Apple wins against Samsung... it's getting ridiculous now.
                Graffiti in a public toilet
                Do not require skill or wit
                Among the **** we all are poets
                Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Originally posted by Aeson View Post
                  So who owns the patent for using your eyes to look at the smart phone screen?
                  I thought Monsanto owned all our gene sequences.
                  One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

This is a sad day... for everybody
                    This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

A juror on the Apple v. Samsung case who was very influential within the jury has a 2002 patent for a TiVO-like dvr device, which is 3 years after the TiVO came out. After the $1B verdict, he said:
                      ""I was thinking about the patents, and thought, 'If this were my patent, could I defend it?"
                      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Some think the war has just begun.
                        With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Perhaps the next time Google tells someone to not copy Apple, they will listen.
                          Last edited by pchang; August 28, 2012, 11:46.
                          “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Guess Apple should have bought the jurors all at once and made sure they got their stories straight.
                            “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                            "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

I thought 0 was an arab invention ?
                                "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Working...
                                X