Should the South secede?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe View Post
    To get a fair picture of the culture of north and south, one needs to stay away from the larger metropolitan areas where diversity is common. Rural north east is devastatingly white and devastatingly racist. In the south rural areas are more diverse, racist no doubt but less so in my opinion than my experiences in the north. Granted they have many more interactions with diverse neighbors so the liklihood of racist interactions is greater than lilly white segregated rural northeastern towns.

OTOH as it is all a matter of opinion I note similar northern transplant to the south, Imran, typically believes the opposite (i.e. racism is much more prevalent in the south than in the north).
    I wonder how someone who lives in Cobb "We don't want MARTA because it'll let the black folks in" County (IIRC, the county did have a sign as late as the 70s saying "****** don't lay your head in Cobb County) can claim such things .
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I didn't live in Cobb in the 70's. (Its not as if Phillly and Wilmington weren't embroiled in their own race riots during that time frame.)

Also all my neighbors are fully in support of a MARTA line at least up to Marietta to cut down on the onerous commute. Years of painful commutes tend to change peoples minds I suppose.
      "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

The TSLOST vote begs to differ!!!
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
          Many people identify strongly with the state they grew up or were born in. It's not so much the case where I live, because I live in an area with three state jurisdictions in close proximity (Maryland, DC and Virginia). Even so I wouldn't have to drive very far to be in an area where I expect most people would have some sort of "Virginia pride". But that doesn't mean they don't also see themselves as Americans.
          ****ing Virginians need to stay on their side of the river.
          John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by regexcellent View Post
            You see a lot more Canadians coming here than the other way around. Including others on this board, like KrazyHorse.
            Making a dollar and taking out citizenship are two different things.

Thankfully, very few of us are like Ben. The US can be a nice place to visit but we prefer it here.
            "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
            "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
              The TSLOST vote begs to differ!!!
              We're Ok with it, just as long as we don't have to pay for it. I don't see the problem.
              "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Originally posted by Felch View Post
                ****ing Virginians need to stay on their side of the river.
                Happy to oblige, you can keep PG County and your ****ing big-brother speeding cameras, Marylander.
                If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
                  That doesn't really change the fact that if you broke away you would have a huge budget shortfall, and the North would get a windfall.
                  They would also probably wonder where a solid majority of the fleet and air force ran off to.

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                    They would also probably wonder where a solid majority of the fleet and air force ran off to.
                    The North could atleast afford to pay them.
                    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

No, you idiot. The only reason many states in the south get more in federal dollars than others is because the military units are stationed there. If they were stationed in the North, the situation would be reversed.

But why am I arguing with you? You're one of the dumbest dip****s on this board.

Comment

Not just fleet and air force, but army and marine corps too.

Maneuver Center of Excellence (main base for Infantry and Armor, >100,000 troops): Fort Benning, Georgia
                        Fires Center of Excellence (main base for Field Artillery and Air Defense Artillery): Fort Sill, Oklahoma
                        Sustainment Center of Excellence (main base for logistics branches): Fort Lee, Virginia
                        TRADOC (Training and Doctrine Command, in charge of Army training): Joint Base Langley-Eustis, Virginia
                        Main training base for Marine Corps officers: MCB Quantico, Virginia
                        Main USMC east coast base: Camp Lejeune, North Carolina

That's just a handful.

Not to mention an absurdly outsize proportion of enlistments and officer cadets/candidates come from the South. And the outsize portion of National Guard units that they have.

EDIT: I forgot Aviation Center of Excellence (main center for all Army Aviation) at Fort Rucker, Alabama. So basically Army logistics and all of the combat branches are based in the South. If you consider Missouri to be in the South, then Engineering is based there too, at Fort Leonard Wood.
                        Last edited by regexcellent; August 13, 2012, 18:52.

Comment

Given that liberals would happily shrink the defense budget massively anyway, why would they be upset at leaving a bulk of the military to the south?

Comment

I think a 60% reduction would be a little bit too steep for even the craziest peaceniks

Remember, the south is the fastest growing region, but doesn't have anywhere near 50% of the population.

Comment

60% reduction isn't enough.

I won't be happy until our military spending is reduced to pre-WWII levels (inflation-adjusted, of course).
                              "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                              "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

You crazy peacenik.
                                "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                                "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                                X