I now...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I now...

manage 4 people. I am slightly frightened at this development.
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Fire them, problem solved
    <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Just win them over with your warm and gentle ways.
      No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
        Just imagine how they feel.
        "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
        "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

I SMELL JOUST TOURNEY
          "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
          'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Women love compliments. If you manage women, say something nice about their rack or ass. If she's older, you can always go with," I bet you had a fantastic rack 30 years ago". They also like impromptu shoulder rubs.

With guys, invite them out for an evening of hookers and blow. If any of the women are hot, you can invite them and save a bit of money on hookers.

You're welcome.
            There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
              Good management position: you get to delegate stuff.

Bad management position: you have to actually keep track of things like deadlines.

I dread the day when I have to start doing the latter

Comment

I have 100 factory people working, standing around...or going home, based on planning. Most manufacturing personnel want no part of Planning. It's what I do, and what Jr pops off at me about at times.
                To your point though, yes, being held accountable for the performance of others is a shift in perspective.
                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
                  To your point though, yes, being held accountable for the performance of others is a shift in perspective.
                  And that's understating the case. I hada teamof 12-14 reporting to me for a while and you can spen all your time dealing with supervisory stuff. Now I did have a particularly difficult team as they were all consultants ona construction job in a boom market so they all either implicitly or explicitly let elbow about their ability to go elsewhere .acouple of themtrulyhated each other too which made for fun times lol.

Congrats KH or condolences....

It will be interesting to see how you enjoy it and how youdo with managing. Many many times, organizations take their best workers and elevate them as supervisors without even assessing their management skills . What makes a great technical worker does not necessarily
                  Make a great worker...
                  You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Congrats. First-time managers are the worst .
                    Try to fight the urge to micromanage everything.
                    Also, don't spend effort proving you are their boss. You are, that's enough.

Comment

It's only scary when you discover you are good at it.
                      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I command legions
                        Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

I'm up to 35, but only as a technical manager. I refuse to touch the HR-type parts of the job.
                          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Annual reviews and those times where you're supposed to "develop" unruly staff. Horrible.
                            The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse View Post
                              I command legions
                              Sand fleas don't count.
                              No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Working...
                              X