Mitt caught in a direct lie?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kentonio View Post
    Which, correct me if I'm wrong, he tried to do but was prevented by congress.
    You're wrong. Whenever the White House is asked about it nowadays, they say something along the lines of, "It turned out closing Gitmo is hard. "

If he was responsible for the decision to outsource jobs from Bain controlled firms to China, then how is that a stretch?
    As I understand it, there was no "decision to oursource jobs."
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
      Of him lying, or Ken bringing this up? Both?
      Of him lying about a little outsourcing? If he can't defend that then he's a pretty ****ty Republican.

Comment

If I'm understanding it correctly, he said that he gave up all power in the company in 1999. It seems that instead he still retained 100% of the shareholding, was chairman of the company and attended board meetings of various Bain owned companies, and was receiving a large salary. Do those two things really go together?
        They most definitely can. People don't understand corporate governance all that well it appears.
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Look at Bill Gates. He's still Chairman of Microsoft but it's widely understood that he plays essentially no part now and it's Steve Ballmer who runs the show.
          Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
          "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by gribbler View Post
            Why would he lie about this? I don't see the point.
            Because it was politically convenient to deny any connection with the outsourcing of US jobs.

Of him lying, or Ken bringing this up? Both?
            Yes it is certainly pointless to draw attention to the man who could become US president being proven to have lied to the American people. Why would anyone give a **** about something like that..

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
              You're wrong. Whenever the White House is asked about it nowadays, they say something along the lines of, "It turned out closing Gitmo is hard. "
              Fair enough.

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
              As I understand it, there was no "decision to oursource jobs."
              It just 'happened' one day?

Comment

Yay! POTUS engaging in the equivalent to Birtherism.

I remember when that used to be a disqualifier for serious political consideration.
                "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Which, correct me if I'm wrong, he tried to do but was prevented by congress.

If he was responsible for the decision to outsource jobs from Bain controlled firms to China, then how is that a stretch? Someone at Bain made that decision, and his claim has been that by that time he had given up this decision making position in the firms. This evidence seems to directly contradict that.

At this point it's not even about whether he outsourced jobs, it's about whether he lied about having not outsourced jobs. It's the same as pretty much every big political scandal, it's the coverup that will kill you, not the initial act.
                  This is probably one of the most pathetic posts I've seen on this site in a while. Outsourcing jobs to make millions of dollars for a failing company that hired you to do just that is good, lying is bad, and there is no evidence the latter occured.
                  Last edited by Wiglaf; July 13, 2012, 10:11. Reason: bad outsourcing http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outsourced_(TV_series)

Comment

Originally posted by Wiglaf View Post
                    The only reason anyone cares about these technicalities is that Bain had to close companies and outsource jobs in 1999, which no one except unskilled American retards has a problem with. \.
                    But that's Romney's base.
                    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Yes it is certainly pointless to draw attention to the man who could become US president being proven to have lied to the American people. Why would anyone give a **** about something like that..
                      Clinton lied a bunch of times, but since the majority of the lies were about blowjobs I didn't care, and still don't. In this case, he may or may not have deliberately lied about the extent of his formal involvement in a business venture thirteen years ago. Whether or not he was involved in any specific controversial decision about downsizing or outsourcing or whatever remains unclear. I wouldn't care either way. Of course, the good old Electoral College makes it pointless for me to vote for either of them, and thus to follow the elections, but this sounds a lot like that business with his dog, or his Dem counterpart Kerry's fondness for Swiss.
                      1011 1100
                      Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Wiglaf View Post
                        This is probably one of the most pathetic posts I've seen on this site in a while. Outsourcing jobs to make millions of dollars for a failing company that hired you to do just that is good, lying is bad, and there is no evidence the latter occured.
                        Don't be deliberately obtuse, as I said previously this has nothing to do with the rights or wrongs of outsourcing, it's simply a matter of whether the guy directly lied to the American public, You keep saying there is no evidence this occured, and that is simply untrue. There appears to be plenty of evidence that it occured which is why it's currently a major news story.

Originally posted by HP
                        The Huffington Post reported on Thursday that, as he prepared to run for governor of Massachusetts in 2002, Romney suddenly had an interest in showing that he WAS involved in Bain business from 1999 to 2002. In a lawsuit filed by Democrats seeking to question his residency, Romney said that he had worked closely on trips back to Boston with at least one Bain-owned company, LifeLike Corp., and had gone to board meetings for Staples and Marriott.

Comment

Clinton lied a bunch of times, but since the majority of the lies were about blowjobs I didn't care, and still don't.
                          Yet those lies were enough to get him impeached.

Comment

Yet those lies were enough to get him impeached.
                            No, the fact that the lies were about something lurid (and the GOP were in a Captain Ahab mood) got him impeached. Didn't the public turn against the GOP shortly after? I seem to remember something like that, but I was more interested in boobies at the time.
                            1011 1100
                            Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

It was that he lied under oath.
                              “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

No, the fact that the lies were about something lurid (and the GOP were in a Captain Ahab mood) got him impeached. Didn't the public turn against the GOP shortly after? I seem to remember something like that, but I was more interested in boobies at the time.
                                You don't think it could have something to do with the fact that the lies were under oath?
                                If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                                ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Working...
                                X