British Study: Muscular men are sexist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• British Study: Muscular men are sexist

Men with a greater drive for muscularity (and a negative body image) are more sexist, more hostile and more objectifying of women, possibly driven by mass media intake.

Men obsessed with building muscles are significantly more likely to objectify women, be hostile toward women, and have sexist attitudes, new research finds.
    A group of 327 heterosexual British men filled out questionnaires for the study. Most were white, and 38.5 percent were single, 31.2 percent were in a dating relationship and 23.9 percent were married. (The rest fit into an "other" category.)

The surveys gauged participants' desire for a more muscular body — for example, asking how often they think "I wish that I were more muscular" — and their attitudes toward women. Examples of items in the sexist beliefs portion of the survey included: "I feel that many times women flirt with men just to tease them or hurt them," and "Intoxication among women is worse than intoxication among men."

Those men who showed more interest in being muscular were also more likely than others to score higher on sexist beliefs, hostility toward and objectification of women.

"We think men who hold oppressive beliefs about women and gender equality are also more likely to endorse traditional stereotypes of masculinity, which includes the muscular physique," Swarmi said.
    I think it's BS.
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Seems reasonable. Now we have both scientific and anecdotal evidence.
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

If there is a correlation, it's probably men were done dirty by women, bulked up to try to get women, realized that it doesn't change anything, and kept being angry.
      "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
      "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Then you would have to say that most men who bulk up were "done dirty" by women.
        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Is it really sexist if you find it more fun to drink with your buddies than girls?
          In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi View Post
            Seems reasonable. Now we have both scientific and anecdotal evidence.
            yup.
            "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi View Post
              Then you would have to say that most men who bulk up were "done dirty" by women.
              Yeah, I'd say so.
              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                If there is a correlation, it's probably men were done dirty by women, bulked up to try to get women, realized that it doesn't change anything, and kept being angry.
                Thinking women are dumb brutes who just want a man with big muscles might be related to sexism.

Comment

Oh, Al...
                  Graffiti in a public toilet
                  Do not require skill or wit
                  Among the **** we all are poets
                  Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Less-than-positive attitudes to women from the Muscle Marys? Who'd a thunk it?
                    The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Makes sense. I don't want more muscle and nor does my girlfriend want me to have more. So I am just trying to stay fit and leaner. I really don't understand the desire to want to be that big..it's not a good look.
                      Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Makes sense. I don't want more muscle and nor does my girlfriend want me to have more.

Im the one thats down under, yet it seems the world at home has been turned on its head! Do tell!

So I am just trying to stay fit and leaner. I really don't understand the desire to want to be that big..it's not a good look.

Im big, are you trying to say something?
                        Safer worlds through superior firepower

Comment

Haha...you've definitely been out of the loop. Will drop you a PM later. But I try and do a lot of swimming myself as well as gym stuff...keeps me in good general shape.
                          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison View Post
                            I don't want more muscle and nor does my girlfriend want me to have more.
                            Just thought I'd decrease the level of PH's subtlety.
                            One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Is this such a surprise?
                              Speaking of Erith:

Comment

Working...
                              X