Why can't I get interviews?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Having been on each side of the hiring equation I can say this

1. For most jobs you are correct in that there is no "careful consideration" until they get down to the top 10 or top 5. When I advertized to hire a contracts analyst I received 300 applications. I did up 6 stacks of 50 or so and gave them to my staff and they each had the instruction to pick 3-4 based on the job description. I ended up with 20 or so for me to look at . . . BUt whether you are being weeded out by staff or by automated tools, the issue is the same . . . you have to find a way to get past that first hurdle. Keyords and filling in the right amount of experience and education get you past the automatic stuff== The personal screen can be met by

a) having a FLAWLESS resume that looks awesome=== I certainly hope you punch up the generic formatting in what you showed here-- I know the online tools don't keep some of that but hell pdf and attach a really sharp looking one if you can
    b)having something in your cover letter thats unique-- remember . . . they are likely rejecting 90-95% on the first scan so you need to show SOMETHING. If its generic cover letter, it goes with the rest of the generic ones in the reject pile

A further resume comment is to delete the second stint as an assistant manager. You probably want it to show they hired you again but frankly it shows no growth and then creates a resume of a job jumper-- THat was one of the criteria in a resume scan-- one really short job was ok--- Two and you were inching into the reject pile.

I would also reformat your resume and lead with your work experience but that might be a matter of personal taste.

2. It is troubling that you are not getting calls and interviews. Obviously you are not targetted enough in what you seek ( both from the lack of favorable responses and the fact you are applying for a bellhop job and a bank job at the same time). I think the resume scanners reject you because it looks exactly like what it is-- you want any job because you need a job and you are likely to either be half-assed or moving on

3. Take some time and figure out what you REALLY want to do!! IF you loved banking, target that. I know when I apply for jobs I get the interview between 50 and 75% of the time and usually any failures are when I "reached" or when I applied late in the process-- Even if there is a deadline-- apply early-- Many jobs get filled after a review of the first hundred resumes and some ones filed at the deadline are not reviewed at all
    Last edited by Flubber; June 19, 2012, 15:08.
    You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Originally posted by Barnabas View Post
      In Argentina when we had hyper inflation like the Weimar Republic, surgeons and high qualified people envied hotel workers because they would get tips in hard currency, like dollars or pre euro european currencies.
      Cuba was like that. All sorts of professionals made far more money driving a cab than doing their profession
      You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Could Albie's ghetto address hinder his chances?

Try pretending that you live in a trendy area and see what happens.
        In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

I can't get a job either.
          Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Ozz, I'm surprised. With all your working for youth rights and public appearances to pad that resume, I would think you'd do great in interviews. What field are you seeking employment in?
            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post
              Ozz, I'm surprised. With all your working for youth rights and public appearances to pad that resume, I would think you'd do great in interviews. What field are you seeking employment in?
              Maybe he's not getting interviews to shine in.
              "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
              "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Yeah, working a shoe shine stand would be a good fit.
                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

my advice, especiallly in a difficult job market, would be get involved in the community, youth sports, charity work, more jobs are found through personal connections than any other way and its good to look busy, not just waiting for a phone call, resumes are dime a dozen nowadays, I employ people and I don't trust their resumes at all, word of mouth and references matter more to me, and the interview, we check people out very thoroughly and character counts as much as skills

the shinebox is not such a joke - if you set up a small business, even a micro one just to help pay the rent that is impressive to me, sell hotdogs, whatever
                  Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Like Alby, I haven't gotten any interviews. No responses at all really.

I'm looking for jobs with various non-profits, or administrative jobs at for-profit offices. Mostly non-profit though. Probably the job that was the best fit was with a local ACLU branch. I called to follow up after a bit and the woman said "oh, we found someone to fill that position. I don't recall your name though... I guess that's your answer." Or something like that.

Perhaps I'm overqualified? I dunno. I also wonder if I"m seen as a jack of all trades, master of none (which is true). I have three versions of my resume, one that covers my "professional" experience in youth rights, plus education and stuff. One that has all that plus all the various crappy odd jobs I've worked on the side for the last several years. The last one has the professional experience and a long list of media appearances and spots I've been published. I always send out the first one. I figure no one I'm applying to is going to care that I spent two years delivering newspapers and working at an auto parts store on the side, it'd probably hurt me. And the one with all the articles... I dunno, I'm decidedly not looking for a communications job, so I didn't think it'd help me to list everything. Could it look weird that I only list one employer? I worked there for 12 years though, so you'd think they'd like the stability. I don't know...

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                      Maybe he's not getting interviews to shine in.
                      Possibly but a lot of activism should open some doors and get him some interviews. Some folks might hate it but there should be enough that LOVE it to have lots of opportunity.

It probably makes for a very interesting resume--- very unlike college/burger flipper which is probably the resume of half the college grads out there

Comment

A reasonable person would assume so.

Comment

Why are you applying primarily to nonprofits? Seems like a bad strategy to me.
                          If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                          ){ :|:& };:

Comment

A bad idea to look for jobs in a field I have 12 years of experience in?

Comment

Have you tried the Clinton Foundation? They have high turnover.
                              “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Ugh, I so don't want to live in New York.

Comment

Working...
                                X