Falkland Islanders to hold referendum over sovereignty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
    MtG, I'm not sure you understand the dynamic Drake is going with here. There are two factors at play: 1) Drake hates the UK, and 2) he's indirectly trolling everyone who believes that the Palestinians should be allowed to kick out the Jews.
    I'm actually totally serious; any fair reading of the historical record shows that the Malvinas were rightfully Argentinian in 1833 when the British conquered the islands by force. My hatred of the British empire is completely supported by the facts in this case.

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse View Post
    Typical Latin incompetence. Good one General Galtieri!

Comment

MtG, I'm not sure you understand the dynamic Drake is going with here. There are two factors at play: 1) Drake hates the UK, and 2) he's indirectly trolling everyone who believes that the Palestinians should be allowed to kick out the Jews, because the Jews "stole their land".
      they did

i dont really care

i'm just salty that nato bombed the serbs for the same ****ing thing
      and israel is so much wrose

but will ariel sharon ever go to the hague?

pfft
      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• Most of the Pitcairners moved to Norfolk Island after Queen Victoria granted them land there. Norfolk Island was later ceded to Australia, which now administers it.
        Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

• PIT CAN WHAT
          that s not real
          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• The descendents of the mutiny on the bounty. They have their own language too - a mix of early 19th century naval English slang and Polynesian called Pitcairnese. They still speak it on Norfolk Island, a truly beautiful place with a dark history.
            Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Comment

• Originally posted by Tupac Shakur View Post

Anyway, the obvious counter to this is that the word of GOD was what counted at the time of the Treaty of Tordesillas, thus making the Spanish claim (which predates the British claim by 196 years) completely valid when judged in the context of the law which applied at the time.
              Nice post edit. Find me a Spanish claim to the Falklands in the Bible, and you're talking. If you want to invoke God, you should at least get your story straight, because the relevant papal bull in 1481 granted all lands sough of the Canary Islands to Portugal. Then you had a new, corrupt Spanish pope, none other than Rodrigo Borgia, issue bull(****) after bull(****) in 1493, giving the whole world to Spain. The treaty of Tordesillas was negotiated between John II of Portugal and Ferdinand and Isabella of Castile and Aragon, so sorry, no divine intervention there, they privately agreed that Alexander VI was full of bull. Then the treaty was sanctioned by a new pope 12 years after the fact, but that does not change the fact that it was a private negotiation in it's entirety, with no papal pretense of "divine inspiration" to be had.

Nice try. Keep trying.
              When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

• Originally posted by Alexander's Horse View Post
                The descendents of the mutiny on the bounty. They have their own language too - a mix of early 19th century naval English slang and Polynesian called Pitcairnese. They still speak it on Norfolk Island, a truly beautiful place with a dark history.
                how are the women?
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

The descendents of the mutiny on the bounty. They have their own language too - a mix of early 19th century naval English slang and Polynesian called Pitcairnese. They still speak it on Norfolk Island, a truly beautiful place with a dark history.
                  I'm just curious how long it will be until Pitcairn is totally abandoned.

Comment

• beautiful enough to mutiny and steal a ship...

Comment

• i always wanted to mutiny something
                      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

MtG, I'm not sure you understand the dynamic Drake is going with here. There are two factors at play: 1) Drake hates the UK, and 2) he's indirectly trolling everyone who believes that the Palestinians should be allowed to kick out the Jews, because the Jews "stole their land".
                        I know. Drake hasn't changed a bit, except there's no reason to troll France any more over anything. It's nice to see him come up short again and again, though.

I usually respond to these threads when I'm working, so when I get stuck on a point, I can switch mental gears, have a little fun, then get back to actual work.
                        When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

• you are working now?
                          ist like 11pm in boston
                          wtf man
                          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat View Post
                            Nice post edit. Find me a Spanish claim to the Falklands in the Bible, and you're talking.
                            Why would I need to? As a good Catholic (like Ben and everyone in Western Europe in 1494), I believe that the Pope is the infallible representative of God on earth. If he says a part of the world belongs to Spain, then it belongs to Spain.

Comment

• yeah little boy ass raping pope
                              **** them

every single pope ever is burning in hell
                              if there is one
                              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Actually their opinion doesn't really matter, it is an open secret that Britain was going to give the Falklands away and compensate the inhabitants. They have done it over and over for centuries, Norfolk island, Cocos, Pitcairn, Lord Howe, need I go on?

But the Argie generals got impatient, wanted a domestic win to shore up their rule, tried to speed things up with their invasion and ended up setting back the Argentine cause by maybe another century. In the meantime the Law of Sea convention has come in and given the Falklands an EEZ, making it much more valuable economically. The economic arguments that were driving Britain toward a settlement -the cost of administration - no longer exist.

In Anglo eyes this is typical Latin incompetence. Good one General Galtieri!
                                Only disagreement there would be the "another century" part. Given the potential resource value now, and the ability of the islands to be economically self-supporting, why would the Brits ever give it away to the Argies? Especially once oil and gas (probably worth way more than oil) are extracted and all that infrastructure is put in place. The Falklands would likely be a cash cow for much longer than a century.

Galtieri should get the Johnnie Rose Memorial Argentinean Buffoon General award though.

Comment

Working...
                                X