Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The world's worst prison state . . . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
      If they dismiss any suggestion after only ten seconds with the patient in question, they're lousy shrinks and you should ignore them.
      That was my thought.
      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Nah I don't have it. I don't imagine I could have worked so much in customer service and management/supervisory roles if I had aspergers.

Is this typical? Or are these people extreme?

"Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Only on 'poly could a man diagnosed with Aspergers be one of the funniest posters on the site.
          "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

I took this ****ing long test, albeit it's self-reporting:

and got this result:

Your Aspie score: 28 of 200
            Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 168 of 200
            You are very likely neurotypical

Yeah I'm no Aspie.
            "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
            "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Take another internet quiz, and it'll tell you that you've got morgellons, schizophrenia or, if published by Cosmo, that you simply need to "put more zoom-zoom in the bedroom."

Anyway, as Loin said, psych diagnoses are ultimately just convenient groupings of symptoms that tend to come together in certain oddballs. Not everyone has every aspect and certainly they can't describe a person's whole personality. I, for example, have no obsessive interests AFAIK, and to call my math skills "savant abilities" is a real stretch (though those are only found in something like 10% IIRC). I do have very picky tastes in food, I'm somewhat face-blind, don't like being pawed and have a poor sense of tact, among other things. Whereas my father will eat just about anything and has multiple things that he won't shut up about if you get him started. And he's much more aspie than me. Both of us have a sense of humor, albeit his is more unconventional and often falls flat.

Now, I had a stats prof in college who was blatantly autistic. He actually got excited while discussing the different permutations of the letters in the word "Mississippi." While I didn't really know him personally, I don't believe he would recognize a joke if the ghost of Groucho Marx rose from his grave and hand-delivered a pie to his face. But to make a long-winded explanation short: there is no "typical case" of Asperger's.

Also, I can do customer service just fine. All you do is act polite and apologize as soon as they get pissy. The important thing is that under no circumstances should you swear in their hearing, no matter how swell you think you're getting along, because that's simply unprofessional.
              1011 1100
              Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
                .... The important thing is that under no circumstances should you swear in their hearing, no matter how swell you think you're getting along, because that's simply unprofessional.
                With other words ...
                no job for people with Tourette syndrome
                Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

...we are not all Bobcat Goldthwait.
                  No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Coprolalia (babbling swear words at random) is actually only one symptom of Tourette's, and not even an especially common one IIRC. I think mostly they twitch a lot.
                    1011 1100
                    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Obviously anybody with Tourette's who doesn't have coprolalia is challenging the traditional psychology
                      <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

"Twitch" doesn't really do it justice. It implies that the action is involuntary, which it isn't. The best description I've come across is that it's like an itch that absolutely refuses to go away until you scratch it -- except that, in this case, you're not scratching, you're exhibiting a tic of some sort.

It's better than involuntary tics, because you can resist for awhile, so as to avoid embarrassment out in public for example, but it depends on how bad it is, and that varies by person and over time. Stress only makes it worse, as does focusing on it. Holding off makes it worse as well, once you give in. You always give in, eventually.

AFAIK, tourettes sufferers never tic in their sleep.
                        No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Working...
                        X