No announcement yet.

Golden Gate Bridge at 75.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey, this is OT! No whining about how lousy everything since Civ2 has been...

Yeah, well, the impact of bridges tends to be highly localized.
    (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
    (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
    (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyKP View Post
      Oerdin is always wrong.
      QFT

Comment

Originally posted by gribbler View Post
        I didn't spot the error.
        You simply know one is always there, its a mind teaser to find where he has buried the wrongness.
        "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Actually, that's a fun game. I spotted another one!

Originally posted by Dinner View Post
          It's been 75 years since President FDR ordered the construction of San Francisco's Golden Gate Bridge as part of an infrastructure project designed to improve America and fight the great depression. To celebrate the bridge's 75th birthday they're giving the entire bridge a complete overhaul, repainting everything, and they've just opened a brand new visitors center which supposedly has one of the best views in America.
          Even if, in Oerdin's strange counter-factual reality, FDR ordered the construction of the Golden Gate Bridge, he sure didn't do it 75 years ago. 75 years ago was when the bridge was finished, not when it was begun or ordered.

I'm on a roll. Bonus points for me.
          Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

No **** Sherlock. I even said that.

Construction started in 1934 and was completed in 1937.
            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Several posts later.

However if you insist that your statement of "It's been 75 years since President FDR ordered the construction of San Francisco's Golden Gate Bridge as part of an infrastructure project designed to improve America and fight the great depression." was made while fully knowing the construction dates then it is your math skills I am more concerned about.

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

OK, let's search for the source of this miscommunication. When I said, in the OP, that the bridge was now 75 years old... How did you not understand that they started counting from the completion date? A baby's birthday is the day it is born not the day mommy and daddy had a tumble in the back of the Chevy.

Comment

It's been 75 years since President FDR ordered the construction of San Francisco's Golden Gate Bridge
                  2012 - 75 = 1937

Was the construction of the bridge ordered in 1937? No......

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyKP View Post
                    Actually, that's a fun game.
                    Again, QFT.

Comment

OK, that was a typo then. I did say construction started in 1934 and was completed in 1937 though so this is just nitpicking.

Comment

OK, that was a typo then. I did say construction started in 1934 and was completed in 1937 though so this is just nitpicking.
                        For the record, construction on the Golden Gate Bridge began on January 5th, 1933. Oerdin is always wrong, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Tupac Shakur View Post
                          For the record, construction on the Golden Gate Bridge began on January 5th, 1933. Oerdin is always wrong, etc.

We should definitely keep score.

Comment

Ozzy and Drake sitting in a tree ...
                            "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Actually the thing I always remember is that someone mentioned that painting the bridge is non stop. When they finish it's time to start again.
                              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Same as the Forth Bridge in Scotland

Far more impressive IMO! I actually thought the Golden Gate bridge was pretty boring, to be honest...

Also USS Missouri > USS Iowa IMO.
                                Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Working...
                                X