No announcement yet.

Arabic mandatory at Manhattan public school

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It isn't relevant at all. The most generous estimates put the percentage of the Filipino population that can speak any Spanish at 3 percent.

Comment

Originally posted by Tupac Shakur View Post
      It isn't relevant at all. The most generous estimates put the percentage of the Filipino population that can speak any Spanish at 3 percent.
      It was the official language of government only 40 years ago. I'm not saying you can get by knowing only Spanish in the Philippines. I'm just saying it has historical significance there. Many Filipinos have Spanish names, for example.

I mean if you want to say Spain is the only country outside of the New World where Spanish is of any utility, I'll support that argument. It's a stronger form of the argument I was making that Spanish is irrelevant outside of Latin America and the US.

You're tearing down the one concession I was offering gribbler that Spanish is relevant somewhere besides Spain and Latin America/USA

Thanks for supporting my argument
      "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
      "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

I'm very much enjoying the fact that you complained about the cultural biases of others whilst displaying complete ignorance about what languages they speak in the Philippines.

Comment

I'm very much enjoying the fact that you complained about the cultural biases of others whilst displaying complete ignorance about what languages they speak in the Philippines.
          I'm very much enjoying the fact that you are supporting my argument while thinking you're arguing against me.
          "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
          "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

I'm not trying to argue against you; I'm simply fact-checking an ignorant post of yours. I frankly don't give a **** about the stupid argument over whether or not Arabic is a "global" language, whatever the **** that actually means.

Comment

Al, you have no clue what languages are widely spoken where yet you still insist on deciding which languages are "global languages"

Comment

I never even claimed that Spanish is a "global language" yet Al still seems to think that proving Spanish is insignificant in the Philippines will somehow help him win an argument

Comment

Originally posted by gribbler View Post
                  Does Al think Russian is a global language because the UN uses it?
                  An anecdote: a colleague of mine likes vacationing in the third world. Once he and his wife were crossing the Kenya-Tanzania border with a German couple and a group of Maasai. Wh the border officer noticed twohe white people he moved them to the front of the queue, and when he saw their passports it turned out both he and his partner spoke rather good Russian.
                  Graffiti in a public toilet
                  Do not require skill or wit
                  Among the **** we all are poets
                  Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Russian is the #1 second language in a lot of countries.
                    In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Originally posted by Oncle Boris View Post
                      Russian is the #1 second language in a lot of countries.
                      Yes, but most of them are close to Russia or are Israel, where it's #3 native language after Hebrew and Arabic.
                      Graffiti in a public toilet
                      Do not require skill or wit
                      Among the **** we all are poets
                      Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

I'm still waiting to hear why Albie thinks they speak Spanish in the Philippines.
                        It probably has to do with all the Spanish family names
                        No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Money, time, and numbers over 10 in general are dominated by Spanish terms here. Of course an arty person like Tupac would think those are irrelevant

Spammish is the new global language they should be teaching in schools. Not only will educating children in Spammish allow them to avoid a myriad of scams and viruses, but will open up a huge amount of opportunities for them to spam scams and viruses themselves. We are falling behind teh Russians and Nigerians in this vast economy of the future.

Of course we should go back to also teaching English in our public schools as well.

Comment

Arabic mandatory at Manhattan public school

Learning other languages is quite challenging. Arabic reading and writing is no more a secret. There are lots of ways now on how to learned Arabic like online learning through e books, software packages,video, study cards & etc. Think-in-Arabic.com may helps.

Comment

Dwi'n hoffi smwthio!
                              Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Mae'r iaith Gymraeg yn swnio yn amheus fel yr un a ddefnyddir Lovecraft ar gyfer y cwpled am Cthulhu. Nid wyf yn gwybod beth yr iaith honno yn cael ei alw, ond dylem edrych i mewn i'r posibilrwydd bod y Cymry yn yr holl ffieidd-dra sgwid-wyneb o ryw fath.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn. Gweler? Dim gwahaniaeth.
                                1011 1100
                                Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Working...
                                X