Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Mitt Romney be America's first Latino president?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's central Europe, theres the whole of frikkin Scandinavia north of Germany.

Comment

Originally posted by onodera View Post
      What is Latino, then? If I move to Argebtina with my wife and then emigrate to the US, am I a Latino? Or are my children Latinos if they were born in Argentina?
      Do I need to have Native American blood? Do I need to be Catholic? Do I need to speak Spanish? Do I need to have ancestors that lived in colonial Spain? If I am a Spanish American, am I a Latino?
      I think Latino is a dangerous term invented by WASPs to protect the WASPiness of a "white person". They had enough problems with other people claiming to be white, like the Irish, Poles and Italians. With so many immigrants trom Latin America they had to invent a term to segregate them. You cannot call them a new race, you can't shunt them all into the "mixed race" category, because some of them are white, but you have to show their "otherness" at the highest level of demographic statistics. And that's how "Hispanic of any race" has been born. "Look, dangerous people are occupying American Southwest! They don't speak English and obey only the Pope! It's a national catastrophe!"
      Well to be fair, it's not like the Latinos don't differentiate themselves (ie- Chicanos, Borinqueños, etc.)
      "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
      "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Even before the USA became independent, the concept of Spanish American (with america being the continent, no the USA) existed.
        Latin American was invented by the French at the time of their brief conquest of Mexico, they wanted to have a colonial empire there, so, the former spanish america had to stop being just spanish, and become latin, something the french are too.
        From that comes latino, which if being literal, would include haitians and french canadians.
        Iberoamerican would be the best term if you just want a term for people who identify as coming from former spanish and portuguese colonies in the americas.

In many central American countries protestants are now over 10% of the population, in one (Guatemala perhaps) they are over 30%, they were converted from catholicism into protestantism by missionaries from the USA, they tend to be speaking in tongues pentecostals.
        I need a foot massage

Comment

Originally posted by kentonio View Post
          If by 'Northwest' you mean not really north or particularly west, then Germany is certainly in Northwest Europe...
          Geographically, it is almost always used to include the United Kingdom and Ireland; the northern and western parts of France and Germany; the Benelux countries; and the nordic countries (though possibly not Finland).

Comment

Originally posted by Dinner View Post
            Germany is more north central Europe. Or even just central Europe.
            Thanks for backing me up.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnabas View Post
              In many central American countries protestants are now over 10% of the population, in one (Guatemala perhaps) they are over 30%, they were converted from catholicism into protestantism by missionaries from the USA, they tend to be speaking in tongues pentecostals.
              Now, I'm an atheist but one who's family comes from a mostly Protestant background (albeit not very observant) but even I think the who pentecostal speaking in tongues thing is bizarre beyond words. Those people need their heads examined.
              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

We all know Dinner is non-judgmental .

(I do love the "even I think" part though)
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.â€
                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Tupac Shakur View Post
                  Geographically, it is almost always used to include the United Kingdom and Ireland; the northern and western parts of France and Germany; the Benelux countries; and the nordic countries (though possibly not Finland).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northwestern_Europe
                  Yes, Wikipedia says it so it must be true. Alternatively you could just look at a map and explain how not being in the north makes a country northern.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                    We all know Dinner is non-judgmental .

(I do love the "even I think" part though)
                    Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Yes, Wikipedia says it so it must be true. Alternatively you could just look at a map and explain how not being in the north makes a country northern.
                      I think I'll believe Wikipedia and not your dumb ass, thank you very much.

Comment

Originally posted by Tupac Shakur View Post
                        I think I'll believe Wikipedia and not your dumb ass, thank you very much.
                        Obviously looking at a map and believing your own eyes would also be far too much work, ****ing dumbass.

Comment

I just followed your advice and looked at a map. Turns out my eyes see the same Northwest Europe as Wikipedia! Problem solved!

Comment

You might want to look again and this time concentrate on the huge Scandinavian landmass that is a) part of Europe and b) directly north of Germany. I take it in your interesting take on geography Kansas would also count as a Northwestern state?

Comment

I take it in your interesting take on geography Kansas would also count as a Northwestern state?
                              Nope; that would be Ohio. Kansas is too far west:

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X