Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How would a rape/incest exception be implemented?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OzzyKP View Post
    So I'm guessing the answer is 'no'.
    You apparently think the BCRA had no effect on the ability of wealthy individuals to influence the political process with their money.

Comment

Originally posted by Wiglaf View Post
      There're not at all equivalent. Talking to your friend is not a contribution of any kind.
      Oh, but telling a lot of people is?

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker View Post
        Oh, but telling a lot of people is?
        No, donating money directly to a campaign, which it can spend as it wants, is a contribution.

Comment

No, donating money directly to a campaign, which it can spend as it wants, is a contribution.
          So you agree with the Citizens United decision.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker View Post
            So, basically, the more effective the speech is the more we can prohibit it. Got it.

xpost
            The effectiveness isn't relevant. Spreading things by word of mouth can be very effective. The issue is that spending millions on ads is effectively a donation of millions to a candidate.

Comment

So you agree with the Citizens United decision.
              Yes

The effectiveness isn't relevant. Spreading things by word of mouth can be very effective. The issue is that spending millions on ads is effectively a donation of millions to a candidate.
              By this logic, any form of speech is a donation to the candidate, as Kuciwalker is pointing out.

Comment

Originally posted by gribbler View Post
                You apparently think the BCRA had no effect on the ability of wealthy individuals to influence the political process with their money.
                Actually we were talking about running ads. Somehow you've not only confused millionaires with corporations, but you've confused running ads with direct political contributions.
                Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Yes

By this logic, any form of speech is a donation to the candidate, as Kuciwalker is pointing out.
                  No, because not all forms of speech cost money.

Comment

Originally posted by gribbler View Post
                    Spreading things by word of mouth effectively is grassroots organizing. And yes, that costs money.
                    Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

• I am amused by the idea of this dystopian world, where people can only speak their minds on politics as long as there is absolutely no marginal cost associated with it, as in, they must be able to prove they could not possibly have been working during the time they were speaking politically, and they must be able to provide proof they did not waste any money on gas on their way to the location at which they spoke politically.

Comment

• Originally posted by OzzyKP View Post
                        Actually we were talking about running ads. Somehow you've not only confused millionaires with corporations, but you've confused running ads with direct political contributions.
                        Yeah, it's not like millionaires run any corporations. And it's not like wealthy individuals finance any political organizations. And if you don't think unlimited indirect contributions are harmful, I'm guessing you don't even want to bother with limiting direct contributions.

Comment

• Originally posted by gribbler View Post
                          No, because not all forms of speech cost money.
                          Wait, so it's only money that's not allowed to give you outsized influence? You are allowed to "bribe" politicians so long as you aren't rich?

Comment

• Originally posted by Wiglaf View Post
                            I am amused by the idea of this dystopian world, where people can only speak their minds on politics as long as their is no marginal cost associated with it, as in, they must be able to prove they could not possibly have been working during the time they were speaking politically, and they must be able to provide proof they did not waste any money on gas on their way to the location at which they spoke politically.
                            I have to admit, it has one positive feature: we'd have to get rid of the New York Times.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wiglaf View Post
                              I am amused by the idea of this dystopian world, where people can only speak their minds on politics as long as their is no marginal cost associated with it, as in, they must be able to prove they could not possibly have been working during the time they were speaking politically, and they must be able to provide proof they did not waste any money on gas on their way to the location at which they spoke politically.
                              What a totally accurate description of the BCRA. I'm sure OzzyKP, the final arbiter on whether people know what they're talking about, will endorse your efforts.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kuciwalker View Post
                                Wait, so it's only money that's not allowed to give you outsized influence? You are allowed to "bribe" politicians so long as you aren't rich?
                                How are you supposed to bribe someone without using wealth? That doesn't even make sense.

Comment

Working...
                                X