Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How would a rape/incest exception be implemented?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gribbler View Post
    WTF? I didn't say rape makes it bad, I've been claiming the whole time that rape makes it even worse.
    Rape shouldn't make it enough worse (compared to how bad it already is) for that to be the deciding factor where you suddenly go "yup, making abortion illegal is wrong".

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
      There are generally medical signs indicating rape. As a pro-lifer, I support it.
      Quoted for posterity.
      Graffiti in a public toilet
      Do not require skill or wit
      Among the **** we all are poets
      Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Abortions should be opt-out.
        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Viva le Wiggy.
          "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
          "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
            Personhood is a philosophical question.
            No it isn't. Personhood is a legal status. Congress can make General Electric into a person, it can make a fetus into a person.
            John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Both of those are philosophical questions -- something the government is ill-equipped to deal with.

And BTW, it was the Supreme Court that granted corporate personhood. Interesting that the right didn't complain about activist judges when this heavy-handed ruling -- far beyond the scope of the root case -- came down. Chief Justice Roberts seems to have been the driving force.

But I digress.
              Last edited by -Jrabbit; May 17, 2012, 13:37.
              Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
              RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Originally posted by Felch View Post
                No it isn't. Personhood is a legal status. Congress can make General Electric into a person, it can make a fetus into a person.
                It's a philosophical issue that society tries to legislate.
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
                  Well, that didn't take long. Can anybody think of a feasible way to enforce the exception? And, if not, would you expect to see a rather large increase in the number of reported rapes (but only reported at doctors' offices where abortion is provided, not to the police)? Because, if the exception is a giant, easily exploited loophole a significant number of people would be comfortable exploiting, the whole argument over whether or not there should be an exception is pretty well moot.

Again, that's leaving aside the fact that it doesn't make sense except as a compromise anyway.
                  For incest, you can take a tissue sample in utero and do a paternity test.

For rape, having reported the the rape at the time isn't perfect, but it's a start.
                  No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by Guynemer View Post
                    Viva le Wiggy.
                    That's not Wiggy, that's a pod person!

Comment

Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post
                      Both of those are philosophical questions -- something the government is ill-equipped to deal with.

And BTW, it was the Supreme Court that granted corporate personhood. Interesting that the right didn't complain about activist judges when this heavy-handed ruling -- far beyond the scope of the root case -- came down. Chief Justice Roberts seems to have been the driving force.

But I digress.
                      Corporate personhood evolved out of several cases in the 19th century. Roberts had nothing to do with it.
                      John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post

But I digress.
                        Corporate personhood has nothing whatsoever to do with the moral notion of personhood. Corporate personhood is nothing more than saying "the corporation can enter into contracts as one entity, rather than forcing each individual shareholder to sign his name on every contract".

Comment

Also, that they have free speech rights.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk View Post
                            For rape, having reported the the rape at the time isn't perfect, but it's a start.
                            That strikes me as being the only reasonable measure to go by.
                            <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

IIRC the majority of rapes go unreported, so that still leaves the majority of victims without the option of abortion. But that's probably the "best" option, yeah.
                              1011 1100
                              Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Yeah, that's the "isn't perfect" part. :\

Comment

Working...
                                X