Discovered a Ponzi scheme, now what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discovered a Ponzi scheme, now what?

So I have become aware of a massive Ponzi scheme running in Spain. I suspect it's being run by a couple of Russians. This is how it works:

* They offer 25% ROI per 40 days. Some imaginary tax is applied to the ROI, so it boils down to 19%.
    * Maximum deposit 1.000.000 EUR
    * Money is 'invested' on the stock exchange. You and I know better of course.
    * They 'hire' bunches of people on commission basis who spend days on end making phone calls and then following up with personal visits in three-piece suits.
    * The amount of offices and marketeers for this company is growing exponentially.

My first reaction was, 'wow, there are still suckers who fall for this?' My second was, now what, if anything?

I know one guy who works there. He gets 800 euro per months as fixed salary, and a 15% commission on every euro that he hauls in. Last month he made 6000 Euros. He did this by signing up all his friends and family in his village just outside the city, with their savings. I asked him if his job didn't smell fishy at all, and suggested that he would die a violent death should his acquaintances figure out what was going on. He said, "Well, I didn't have any money, and if it comes crashing down, I'll escape to London and find a real job". So, the marketeers are at least superficially aware that something is not right.

800 Euros per month base salary is a fortune for the locals, of which up to 50% is unemployed. And you're guaranteed to get hired, so they are accessing a massive network. Taking advantage of a dire situation.

Now, the way these Ponzi schemes work, anyone halfway or early in the Ponzi cycle will get most of their money back, or more, and the biggest suckers are the ones who 'invest' somewhere towards the end of the life-cycle. As it's still growing exponentially, the cycle is still 'healthy', as far as fraud goes anyway.

I was thinking to myself, can anything be done at this stage, before even more suckers 'invest' their money? Is this the 'right' thing to do? What of the consequences (to me)? There is no Ponzi police. I'm sure the contractual agreement is superficially legit.

Any thoughts?

A Ponzi scheme is a form of investment fraud in which companies pay out fake returns to old investors using the investments of new investors. No actual investments are actually made and the scheme depends on a continuous supply of new investments.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Invest in it if it's still in the early stage.
      Graffiti in a public toilet
      Do not require skill or wit
      Among the **** we all are poets
      Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

I find the Russian stereotype here offending. Just because two good-looking Russian guys want start a business, doesn't mean there is shady things going on.
        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Zoetstofzoetje View Post
          There is no Ponzi police.
          What kind of 3rd World nation are you in?
          The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Spanish Netherlands
            No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Are they hiring Americans?
              Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
              "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

I thought this thread was going to be about medicare

Comment

At last, we know your job.
                  In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

I'm impressed by the level of nonchalance on display here as he watches inexperienced and desperate investors get defrauded.

I'd be seriously uncool in the same situation. Immediate phone calls to the police and stuff like that.
                    The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

And what should the police do about it? The police are the people who place bandages and clean up the blood after the fact. If you can´t provide material evidence (which would not happen until the scheme comes crashing down) they can´t help you. And material evidence implies being screwed by these people. Which I´m not willing to.

Comment

Show us some evidence, like ads of them promising 25% roi per 40 days, hard to believe
                        I need a foot massage

Comment

I'm not sure who you'd report this to in the US--the SEC? FBI? But there's got to be an EU equivalent of whatever agency.
                          1011 1100
                          Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

I'm a bit anxious to report this to the police, or whichever agency. There is so much corruption here. Recently, there was an issue with a landfill that was constructed illegally, then somehow was given a permit by the mayor (who co-incidentally, is the president of the environmental committee). A few people that complained about the smell were beaten up by brawny Russians. The only explanation is that the police leaked their names.

Comment

Originally posted by Bugs ****ing Bunny View Post
                              I'm impressed by the level of nonchalance on display here as he watches inexperienced and desperate investors get defrauded.
                              Fraud tends to work best with those who are inclined to be greedy.

Comment

Working...
                              X