Running OS X Lion on PC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running OS X Lion on PC

Anyone have experience with this? I've gone through 5 hours of hell now trying to get this thing to work and all I get when I run my VM is the apple splash screen. I'm pretty sure it's the onboard intel HD Video card that's causing it on my Dell Lattitude E6510 since I don't think OS X supports onboard video cards. Ideas?

I have had difficulty myself.

I would easily pay 200$ for an apple approved solution.

JM
    (I think the best version to try to run is the hacked version and not your legal version, it might be relevant?)
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

I need the legal version since I don't think monotouch works with the hackintosh.

Comment

I don't understand why you would want to.

Comment

I would think it would be obvious by my last post why I would want to.

Comment

You thought wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by DriXnaK View Post
              Anyone have experience with this? I've gone through 5 hours of hell now trying to get this thing to work and all I get when I run my VM is the apple splash screen. I'm pretty sure it's the onboard intel HD Video card that's causing it on my Dell Lattitude E6510 since I don't think OS X supports onboard video cards. Ideas?
              As I recall Apple's driver support is typically limited to the hardware produced by Apple, which is what makes hackintosh so hard. Mac OSX is not licensed for use off of Apple hardware. You may have to turn to 3rd party patches and drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by gribbler View Post
                I don't understand why you would want to.
                Snow Leopard is the best OS out there (and Lion is almost as good).

The power and capability of linux with the support and software library of Windows.

If I don't use OS X I end up needing virtual machines with the associated frustrations, and even with multiple OS it still doesn't work as well.

I wish someone other than Apple would make something similar which could be installed anywhere.

JM
                Jon Miller-
                I AM.CANADIAN
                GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by regexcellent View Post
                  As I recall Apple's driver support is typically limited to the hardware produced by Apple, which is what makes hackintosh so hard. Mac OSX is not licensed for use off of Apple hardware. You may have to turn to 3rd party patches and drivers.
                  I think that anyone who even thinks of attempting it knows this. In fact, sometimes you have to buy special hardware in order to get things working (like WiFi).

There is some issue of using a legitimate copy of OS X even with Hacks, there are versions you can download which are easier to get working (but are not legit).

JM
                  (5 hours isn't even very long, I wouldn't even ask my office mate for help after only 5 hours.)
                  Jon Miller-
                  I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

I need it to start using monotouch to develop applications for the iphone/ipad. It will only run in OS X Lion, otherwise I'd stick to Windows for sure. I can't think of a single reason why anyone would want to use OS X over Windows 7. I suspect part of my issue is that my laptop has an onboard video card which OS X won't allow. I refuse to buy a mac just so I can develop for their stupid iPhone.

Comment

Windows is garbage as far as scientific analysis/development is concerned.

JM
                      Jon Miller-
                      I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Let me guess, you're also a Java fan right?

Comment

Never touched it.

I mostly program in C/C++ (specialized scientific libraries).

JM
                          (I use emacs and not vi, so I am not super hardcore)
                          Jon Miller-
                          I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
                            (I use emacs and not vi, so I am not super hardcore)
                            Hardcore use vi - super hardcore use ed
                            With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
                              Snow Leopard is the best OS out there (and Lion is almost as good).

The power and capability of linux with the support and software library of Windows.
                              Jon, these are opinions, not facts.
                              If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                              ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Working...
                              X