Matching orange shirts get workers fired

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matching orange shirts get workers fired

Im not a real fan of orange, but this seems decidedly strange.

By Eve Tahmincioglu

Forget about seeing red. Managers at a Florida law firm reportedly saw orange and fired everyone wearing the color.

A group of 14 workers were handed pink slips because they all wore orange shirts to work last Friday, according to a story in the Sun Sentinel this weekend. The law firm isn’t commenting on the mass firing, but some employees are claiming they were fired for the innocent act of just wanting to match their outfits.

This workplace color clash opens the question of whether workers have any legal rights when they're canned or demoted for their fashion choices.

Former employees of Elizabeth R. Wellborn law firm in Deerfield Beach, FL, said they chose to wear orange en masse last week because they were planning to go to happy hour together and wanted to distinguish themselves as a group for the night’s festivities.

A person answering the phone at the law firm who would not give her name said "we don't have any comment right now."

But a group of fired workers, who could not be immediately reached by TODAY on Monday, told their story to the Sun Sentinel last week. “We decided to wear orange,” said Janice Doble, a terminated employee and a lover of all things orange.

On Friday, she said, management at the law firm told her and the other workers that their fashion choice was considered threatening and they were all being fired as a result. “I think it was an excuse to fire all these people,” she maintained.

Excuse or not, there are few laws protecting employees when it comes to their fashion choices if workers don’t have an employment contract or are part of a union.

“Unless they are in a state with a specific law on point, such a termination would be lawful,” said Hanan Kolko, an employment attorney.

Florida, among other states, is an at-will work state and that means employers can pretty much fire you for whatever reason, except when it comes to discriminating against a particular group.

If you have to wear a certain outfit for religious reasons that right is protected under labor laws, but even then, you may be restricted from wearing certain garments if they impede the work you do or pose a safety issue.

Some employees at the law firm said they were told management saw their matching orange shirts as some sort of sign of protest. The workers denied it was a protest, but ironically, if they had worn the shirts as an act of solidarity to protest a workplace issue they may also have been protected under collective bargaining laws that protect concerted efforts among employees to better things such as wages or working conditions.

But just wearing a certain color shirt, or any other garment, because you feel like it, isn’t protected.

Most employers are pretty open-minded when it comes to what their employees can wear.

About 55 percent of employers offer casual dress at least once a week, and 36 percent allow casual dress everyday, according to a study by the Society of Human Resource Management.

So that means orange shirts, or any color, probably goes in most U.S. workplaces even if they’re supposedly a no no at Elizabeth R. Wellborn’s law firm.

Unfortunately for Wellborn, totally banning orange may be tough this year. The hot color at New York Fashion Week last month was, you guessed it, orange.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Aeson will not be pleased.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Seems a pretty dumb thing for the company to do, unless they were planning layoffs anyway.
      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Maybe the Boss just hated SYRACUSE.
        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Obviously not a Gator or Hurricane fan...must be a Seminole.
          "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

The timing of it being the first friday of march madness makes other motives a possibility.
            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither View Post
              Aeson will not be pleased.
              How can you safely chase ambulances if you deny your employees the right to wear visibility enhancing clothes? Lives are at stake here! OSHA should be all over this.

Comment

Of course, you have no employment rights in the third world. I forgot
                Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

I don't see any problem with this. Why does an employer owe his employees more consideration before during him than they outer him before quitting? If somebody makes a habit of firing god people for spurious reasons then he will end up harming himself
                  12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Killing it is the new killing it
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
                    I don't see any problem with this. Why does an employer owe his employees more consideration before during him than they outer him before quitting? If somebody makes a habit of firing god people for spurious reasons then he will end up harming himself
                    Are you having a religious awakening or something?

Comment

My phone replaced "firing" with "during", "owe" with "outer" and "good" with "god". Damn swype.
                      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Killing it is the new killing it
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Uh...yeah KH.

(To much time off?)
                        "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
                          Still could ruin someone's life without good cause.
                          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

What's odd is that this is the exact analogy that I've always used to explain "right to work". Getting fired for the color of your shirt. I didn't think that I'd actually see it, though.
                            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Orange around St. Patrick's Day? Sounds religious to me...was the boss Catholic?
                              "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

Working...
                              X