Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why not regulate men's private parts too?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by regexcellent View Post
    I've never really cared. I suspect this is the case for most Americans. We don't have elections in order to give every demographic group a chance at power; that's called Balkanization.
    Of course you haven't cared, you're an American right wing male. Women on the other hand do care.

'Balkanization'? Lmfao.

We have had plenty of female Governors and Senators, both good and bad. I have no idea why they have never bothered to run but it is plainly obvious that being female is not in the present day an impediment to being elected.
    Never bothered to run? Do you really think its as simple as no woman ever bothered to run? Dear lord...

Comment

Yes, I do. You're acting like this is some kind of conspiracy. There is a lot of evidence to suggest that being female is not an impediment to being elected, as I said earlier. This is much more direct than your empirical notion of "none have been elected yet." Michelle Bachmann was briefly the frontrunner. I am willing to make the assumption that her poll numbers did not collapse upon the sudden general epiphany that she has a vagina. Hillary Clinton was also at one point the frontrunner in 2008. Neither liberals nor conservatives are opposed to women being President. Stop acting like it's a big deal in this country.

Comment

I'm wondering who the one taken vaguely seriously was: Sarah Palin or Geraldine Ferraro?
        John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Neither of them; I was talking about Hillary.

Comment

Ferraro had a handicap because her runningmate was Walter Mondale.

EDIT: I just realized it was kentonio who talked about the "vaguely seriously" thing, not me (though the idea of only Hillary being a serious candidate went through my head as well)

Comment

Yes, I do. You're acting like this is some kind of conspiracy. There is a lot of evidence to suggest that being female is not an impediment to being elected, as I said earlier. This is much more direct than your empirical notion of "none have been elected yet." Michelle Bachmann was briefly the frontrunner. I am willing to make the assumption that her poll numbers did not collapse upon the sudden general epiphany that she has a vagina. Hillary Clinton was also at one point the frontrunner in 2008. Neither liberals nor conservatives are opposed to women being President. Stop acting like it's a big deal in this country.
              Wow, that is serious levels of obtuse. The first time you had a serious candidate was 2008, and she didn't even get the nomination.

I love your line of reasoning though that a female not having ever been elected president is not evidence that women do not have an equal chance of becoming president. That's special.

Comment

Does Thatcher really qualify as a woman?

Comment

The Iron Lady was awesome.

Comment

In much the same way as Ebola Zaire is awesome.
                    The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

...and here I was certain that you'd turned in your Tory Card.
                      No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk View Post
                        ...and here I was certain that you'd turned in your Tory Card.
                        Never. It just now makes me a communist in American terms.

Comment

The fact that Hillary didn't get the nomination was NOT BECAUSE SHE WAS A WOMAN.

Therefore the fact that she didn't get the nomination has no bearing on sexism in American politics.

Comment

The fact that Hillary didn't get the nomination was NOT BECAUSE SHE WAS A WOMAN.
                            How do you know what the reason was that she didn't get the nomination? Have you spoken to all the primary voters who didn't vote for her?

Therefore the fact that she didn't get the nomination has no bearing on sexism in American politics.
                            No, not 'therefore'. You don't get to make unsubstantiated claims and then draw conclusions from those claims. You have no idea what role sexism played in Hillarys failure to get the nomination, do you? Yet while you draw these conclusions out of thin air, little things like the fact there has never been a female American President or a real party candidate for that position gets brushed aside as somehow irrelevant.

Percentage of women in the US? 50.8%
                            Percentage of women in congress? 17.35%
                            Percentage of women in senate? 17%

Sure, no problems with sexism there..

Comment

Most of the candidates seem to be men. The figure is only 22% for the UK anyway.
                              Last edited by giblets; March 12, 2012, 19:33.

Comment

Gender pay gap: why is the UK discriminating against women marginally more than the US does?

Comment

Working...
                                X