No announcement yet.

Why isn't this murder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spike Lee is a joke, when is the last time he made a movie worth a ****?

ACK!
    Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

• We're revving up into full circus mode.

Dem pulled from House floor for Trayvon hoodie
      byJoel Gehrke Commentary Staff Writer

Rep. Bobby Rush, D-Ill., lost his right to speak on the House floor after he violated rules by putting on a hoodie and sunglasses in honor of Trayvon Martin, the Florida teen shot last month.

"May God bless Trayvon Martin's soul, his family and -- [inaudible]" Rush said as he was removed from the House floor this morning for wearing a hoodie.

Rush was wearing a grey hoodie under his suit jacket. He took off his jacket, pulled the hood over his head and put on sunglasses while saying "racial profiling has to stop, Mr. Speaker. Just because someone wears a hoodie does not make them a hoodlum," he said.

"The member will suspend," said a visibly frustrated Rep. Gregg Harper, R-Miss., the speaker pro tempore administrating the morning session. "The member is no longer recognized. The chair will ask the sergeant-at-arms to enforce the rules on decorum."

Rush shouted Bible passages over the sound of the gavel as the speaker interrupted him, but he was eventually pulled from the House floor. "The chair will ask the sergeant-at-arms to enforce the rules on decorum," Harper said.

Rush's "donning of the hood" violated clause five of House Rule 15 against wearing hats on the House floor.
      No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

• If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
        ){ :|:& };:

Comment

• Rush shouted Bible passages
          Wtf is wrong with you yanks ?
          With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

• The question really should be "what is wrong with Bobby Rush", and the answer is "lots of things".
            If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?

Comment

• He got elected.
              "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
              "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

• In Chicago.

You know, the place our President came from.

Comment

• Problem is, he's not unusual.
                  "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                  "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

• We know. It's Chicago.

Comment

• I didn't know Chicago was such a huge proportion of your elected officials.

I bet we could find a few religious kooks elected to office outside of the Windy City.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Mad Monk View Post
                        In Chicago.

You know, the place our President came from.
                        I thought he came from Kenya?
                        Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

• Bobby Lee Rush (born November 23, 1946) is the U.S. Representative for Illinois's 1st congressional district, serving since 1993. He is a member of the Democratic Party.

The district is located principally on the South Side of Chicago. It is a minority-majority district and has a higher percentage of African Americans (65%) than any other congressional district in the nation. Rush has the distinction of being the only person to defeat President Barack Obama in an election for public office, when Obama challenged him in a primary election in 2000.[1] Rush is a member of the Congressional Black Caucus.

Early life, education, and political activismAfter dropping out of high school, Rush joined the U.S. Army in 1963 but went AWOL and received an honorable discharge in 1968.[2] Throughout the 1960s Rush was involved in the civil-rights movement. He worked in civil-disobedience campaigns in the South, and co-founded the Illinois chapter of the Black Panthers in 1968 and was made its "defense minister". His son, Huey, was named after Panther leader Huey Newton. "We were reacting to police brutality, to the historical relationship between African-Americans and recalcitrant racist whites," Rush later told People magazine. "We needed to arm ourselves." Rush was present when fellow Black Panther Fred Hampton was killed in a police raid and later made a official statement that the police, referred only to as "pigs" by Rush, had murdered Hampton. Rush's own apartment was raided in December 1969 where police discovered an unregistered pistol, rifle, shotgun and pistol ammunition, training manuals on explosives and booby traps, a small amount of marijuana and an assortment of communist literature.[3] Earlier that same year Rush stated the philosophy his membership in the Black Panthers saying, "Black people have been on the defensive for all these years. The trend now is not to wait to be attacked. We advocate offensive violence against the power structure."[4]

Imprisoned for six months in 1972 on a weapons charge after carrying a gun into a police station, Rush nonetheless worked on several non-violent projects that built support for the Black Panthers in African American communities. He coordinated a medical clinic that offered sickle-cell anemia testing on an unprecedented scale. Rush graduated with honors from Chicago's Roosevelt University in 1973. A year later he left the Panthers, who were already in decline. "We started glorifying thuggery and drugs," he told People. That was distasteful to the deeply religious Rush, who is a born-again Christian. He went on to say that "I don't repudiate any of my involvement in the Panther party—it was part of my maturing."[5] He subsequently resumed his education in the early 1990s at the McCormick Seminary and received a master's degree in theology.

After leaving the Panther Party, Rush sold insurance for a time in the early 1970s.

[edit] Early political careerRush ran for a seat on Chicago's city council in 1974. The first of several black militants who later sought political office, he was defeated. In the early 1980s, however, Chicago's political life was transformed by the ascendancy of U.S. Representative Harold Washington, a noted orator and a charismatic figure who helped unite the city's African American community. Washington was elected mayor of Chicago in 1983, the first African-American to ever hold the office. That same year, Rush was elected alderman from the Second Ward on Chicago's South Side. He was one of the pro-Harold Washington faction on the Council during the "Council Wars" that began in 1983 following Washington's election as Mayor of Chicago in a racially-polarized contest.

In the 2000 Democratic primary for the U.S. House of Representatives (IL-01), Rush was challenged from State Senator Barack Obama.[8] During the primary, Rush said: "Barack Obama went to Harvard and became an educated fool. Barack is a person who read about the civil-rights protests and thinks he knows all about it."[9] During the campaign, Rush charged that Obama was not sufficiently rooted in Chicago's black neighborhoods to represent constituents' concerns, and also benefitted from an outpouring of sympathy when his son was shot to death shortly before the election.[10] Obama said Rush was a part of "a politics that is rooted in the past" and said he himself could build bridges with whites to get things done. But while Obama did well in his own Hyde Park base, he didn't get enough support from the surrounding black neighborhoods.[11] Starting with just 10% name recognition, Obama went on to get only 31% of the votes, losing by a more than 2-to-1 margin despite winning among white voters.[12][13][14][15] Rush defeated him 61%-30%.[16] He then won the general election with 88% of the vote.[17]

More at the link, I edited out stuff for the sake of something resembling brevity.

Comment

• No, Bobby Rush is definitely a symptom of inner-city Chicago politics. I don't think you'd find these sorts of shenanigans coming from many other places.
                            If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?

Comment

• Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
                              I thought he came from Kenya?
                              Birthers Must Die.

Comment

• There is a House rule against wearing hats on the floor?!

(Isn't that the more ridiculous thing here?)
                                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Working...
                                X