No announcement yet.

Why isn't this murder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If the system works the police will investigate and the DA will determine if there is a reasonable prospect of securing a conviction based upon the evidence they have and proceed to trial if there is. In this case the people with the evidence seem to believe that reasonable prospect doesn't exist.

The high profile of this case has now made it so charges are inevitable. Even the Feds are getting involved to see if they can go after him on something. Do you think this would have happened were this not front page news? Do they get involved in every shooting?
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by Wezil View Post
      So pushing the trial to appease the mob is okay?

Apparently your system can't be trusted by your citizens to do what it needs to do. See my original point.
      A trial might save Zimmerman's life.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aeson View Post
        Don't think we haven't noticed your WHITE ferret
        It's a dead giveaway.

I was going to post my KKK memorabilia collection but I couldn't fit it all into the frame.
        "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
        "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

• I'm about 70-30 that its murder, but I do think Zimmerman should have been arrested by now.
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Remember that we don't have access to all the evidence that the police do. Some of the stuff that's come out recently lends some credence to the vigilante's story (which is also different than some people were assuming). Further, we have a number of witnesses apparently changing their story when talking to the press (after the story began making national headlines).

The longer we go without an arrest the more likely it is that the case is difficult to make given the sum total of evidence police and prosecutors have.
            12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Killing it is the new killing it
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• I think I'm swayed because the Lead Investigator suggested charging Zimmerman with manslaughter on the evening of the incident but was overruled by the State Attorney's Office. I admit I may be biased because I've dealt with Florida's State Attorney's Office in the past and found them to be completely incompetent.
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• I have never dealt with Florida police or Florida prosecutors, thankfully...
                12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Killing it is the new killing it
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• George Zimmerman, the man who set off a nationwide furor when he shot unarmed 17-year-old Trayvon Martin to death in Florida on Feb. 26, is a registered Democrat and self-identified Hispanic, according to a state document released on Tuesday.

George Zimmerman is a registered Democrat.

Zimmerman's state voter registration document shows that the 28-year-old registered as a Democrat in Seminole County, Fla., in 2002. Zimmerman apparently went on to identify himself as a Hispanic American, according to the document, which was released Tuesday by the Washington Free Beacon.

The revelations on the voter form confound the message pushed by some observers on the left, who contend that Zimmerman was motivated by right-wing attitudes and the actions of conservatives:

"[Republican politicians] reinforce and validate old stereotypes that associate the poor and welfare as criminal behavior with African-Americans and people of color, calling us lazy, undeserving recipients of public assistance. In the case of Trayvon, those festering stereotypes had lethal consequences," MSNBC political analyst and Democratic fundraiser Karen Finney has said, condensing many of the left's argument about how the right has contributed to the mindset that led to Trayvon Martin's death.
                  "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                  "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• In 2002 Zimmerman would have been 18 years old. A lot can change in 10 years, partricularily in the transition from teen to adult.

Then again remember Bruce Ivins, the guy involved in the anthrax attacks? We've been told that he was a Democrat, even though the only politicians to receive anthrax letters were Democrats and a bunch of letters he wrote to local newspapers show that he strongly praised the Republican congressional victories in 2002 and 2004.
                    "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

• Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                      http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/3203...c-shooting.htm

George Zimmerman is a registered Democrat.

...and?

Seriously, what's the point of this post?
                      "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                      "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• I wonder if Zimmerman ever identified himself as a Neighborhood watch person. If not and I was walking home and some dude with a gun came running at me and harrasing me, I might beat the hell out of him if I thought I wouldn't get shot.

Maybe Trayvon thought that he was acting in self defense.
                        "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

• Even if a dude identified himself as a neighborhood watch person then if he was waving a gun around and harassing me my first thought wouldn't be "clearly I should respect this person's authority," it would be "I wonder how I can avoid getting shot by this lunatic."
                          <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

• Originally posted by loinburger View Post
                            Even if a dude identified himself as a neighborhood watch person then if he was waving a gun around and harassing me my first thought wouldn't be "clearly I should respect this person's authority," it would be "I wonder how I can avoid getting shot by this lunatic."
                            Good pont
                            "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

• Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                              Well since the Black Panther stuff is being posted like a week late, I guess you all don't know that Spike Lee re-tweeted Zimmerman's home address...
                              Just heard he tweeted the wrong address.

Lady who lives there forced to move out.

Ol' Spike's gonna get smacked.
                              No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

• Elderly Couple In Fear Over Spike Lee Tweet
                                Star erroneously linked Floridians to man who killed Trayvon Martin

MARCH 27--With Twitter and Facebook continuing to explode with posts purporting to contain the address of George Zimmerman, property records and interviews reveal that the home is actually the longtime residence of a married Florida couple, both in their 70s, who have no connection to the man who killed Trayvon Martin and are now living in fear due to erroneous reports about their connection to the shooter.

The mass dissemination of the address on Edgewater Circle in Sanford--the Florida city where Martin was shot to death last month--took flight last Friday when director Spike Lee retweeted a tweet containing Zimmerman’s purported address to his 240,000 followers.

The original tweet was sent to Lee (and numerous other celebrities like Will Smith, 50 Cent, and LeBron James) last Friday afternoon by Marcus Davonne Higgins, a 33-year-old Los Angeles man who uses the online handle “maccapone.” Higgins included the direction, “EVERYBODY REPOST THIS.”

Higgins, pictured at right, first began disseminating the Sanford address to his Twitter followers last Wednesday, including the claim that Zimmerman “Like the fat punk he is, he still lives at home with mommie & daddy.” In a simultaneous post to his Facebook wall, Higgins told his 4000 friends, “FEEL FREE TO REACH OUT & TOUCH HIM.” He also claimed in another post that, “REAL TALK MY PEOPLE OUT THERE IN FLORIDA JUST TOLD ME GEORGE ZIMMERMAN IS NOT AT HIS HOUSE THEY OUT THERE RIGHT NOW.”

Higgins’s dissemination of Zimmerman’s purported Edgewater Circle address was not, however, limited to cyberspace. At a protest rally last Thursday in an L.A. park near his Crenshaw home, Higgins held a sign containing Zimmerman’s name, address, and phone number.

Except, of course, none were accurate.

The man who shot Martin is George Michael Zimmerman. Higgins has repeatedly identified him as “George W. Zimmerman.”

The residence on Edgewater Circle is actually the home of David McClain, 72, and his wife Elaine, 70. The McClains, both of whom work for the Seminole County school system, have lived in the 1310-square-foot lakefront home for about a decade, records show.

In an interview tonight, Elaine McClain told TSG that she and her husband were “afraid” due to the online linking of her address to Zimmerman. “We're keeping everything locked,” she said. McClain added that the couple was particularly unnerved by a letter mailed to them at their home. On the envelope, she said, were printed the words “Taste The Rainbow,” the slogan for Skittles. Martin was carrying a pack of Skittles and a can of ice tea when he was gunned down by Zimmerman.

McClain said her husband returned the envelope unopened to the post office.

The McClains (pictured below) only became aware that their address was being widely circulated online two days ago, when a TV reporter arrived at their home asking for “George.” Bewildered by their sudden--and erroneous--connection to Martin’s killer, the elderly couple’s distress can only be heightened by posts made by Twitter and Facebook users who threaten to visit their residence in search of Zimmerman. Or other posts that goad followers to vigilante action.

Higgins has not responded to numerous TSG messages, so it is unknown where he came up with the information tying Zimmerman to the McClains's home. A check of Zimmerman’s residential history shows no connection to the Edgewater Circle property, which is about four miles from his actual home in Sanford.

So how did Higgins screw things up?

Besides overlooking the different middle initial, perhaps that answer is connected to an old voter record for a “William George Zimmerman” at the Edgewater Circle property. That registration, which dates back to 1995, is for a 41-year-old man. The Zimmerman who shot Martin is 28.

Elaine McClain identified William George Zimmerman as her son, noting that he has not lived at the Edgewater Circle residence for seven years. “He is six-foot-five and thin as a rail,” McClain said of her son, who now lives elsewhere in Seminole County. McClain said she was previously married to a man named Zimmerman, but that he was not related in any fashion to the Zimmerman who shot Martin.

When told that Twitter posts containing her address continued to pour in this evening, an exasperated Elaine McClain remarked, “Maybe we should get a lawyer and send a cease and desist letter to Spike Lee.” (6 pages)
                                MARCH 27--With Twitter and Facebook continuing to explode with posts purporting to contain the address of George Zimmerman, property records and interviews reveal that the home is actually the longti

LAWSUIT TIME!!!
                                No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Working...
                                X