Food poisoning sucks.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Food poisoning sucks.

For only the second time in my life I got food poisoning yesterday. I was at work and decided to go to a Vietnamese place for lunch; got a BBQed pork banh mi, an order of spring rolls, and a pork sticky bun. I ate the 6" sandwich, gave two of the three shrimp spring rolls to my co-workers (ate one myself), and half of the pork sticky bun. About 25 minutes later I had a horrible headache so I took two asprin but just 10 minutes later I was rushing to the toilet at work to throw up. I had to throw up like 5-6 times right there at work and one of my female co-workers actually went into the men's room to make sure I was ok. Oviously I wasn't and had to go home, I did drink a bit of water before I left and some how managed to drive home without throwing up out of my car window but literally no sooner had I pulled into the garage then I had to jump out of my car and barf in the trash can in the garage. It was horrible.

So I figured the worst was over, brushed my teeth, and started drinking some more water thinking I had to replace all the fluids I had vomited out... Bad move. With in 10 minutes I was vomiting again but this time in the backyard where I had gone out to get some sun and sit on one of the patio chairs. I tell you there are few things as humbling as a man on all fours retching his guts out on the backyard grass. After that I spent about an hour trying to go to sleep but just couldn't get comfortable and my headache wouldn't go away. After an hour I decided it was safe enough to once again try to drink some water, I brushed my teeth again, and got in a hot shower trying to relax. No sooner was I in the shower than I vomitted three more times but by now it was just bile and the little bit of water I had drinken. Worse was the dry heaves where there is nothing left in your stomch but your body keeps trying to throw up.

I basically just passed out in the shower until my girlfriend came home and she helped me into bed where I slept for like 12 hours. This morning she kept asking me why I didn't call her to come home but really what could she have done? Sat there and watched me barf? Now I feel 100% better but I don't think I will be going back to that Vietnamese sandwich shop any time soon.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Originally posted by Dinner View Post
    BBQed pork banh mi

Has anybody seen my dog? It was last seen around some Vietnamese eatery...
    "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

All in all not good but not nearly as bad as the only other time I ever got food poisoning. The first time (a few years back) I was literally on the floor of the bathroom curled up in a fetal ball with my girlfriend asking if she should call 911. Thankfully that eventually passed but it took around two days before it stopped coming out of both ends. To compare this episode was over in just a few hours. Still, I'm thinking I've been pretty lucky to have only experienced this twice in my life especially given my "meh, try it and see how it tastes" attitude with street food, dodgy left overs, and all sorts of other stuff.

Comment

I do like Vietnamese food. Especially those Vietnamese Whirls
        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

The last time I had food poisoning was after seafood in Italy. I never normally eat the stuff because it is asking for trouble. And liver...can't eat that stuff...makes me projectile vomit like a Howitzer.
          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Food poisoning starting with a sudden intense headache? None of your coworkers got ill?

You might want to describe that to a doctor.
            No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

I knew it sounded familiar.

Brain Aneurysm Symptoms

Many brain aneurysms have no symptoms at all and are only discovered incidentally during an autopsy after the patient has died from another cause. Brain aneurysms affect approximately 5-10% of the population and only half of all aneurysms leak or rupture.

Symptoms of the aneurysm occur when blood leaks into the subarachnoid space. Some blood can also leak into surrounding brain tissue causing symptoms as well.

The primary symptom of a leaking aneurysm is pain. It is usually a sudden, intense headache that might be associated with nausea, vomiting, and photophobia or light sensitivity. There may be a sentinel headache that occurs from an initial small blood leak and, if ignored, the next headache can be catastrophic with the patient presenting with a decreased level of consciousness or coma.
              A brain aneurysm is a dangerous, potentially life-threatening condition. Brain aneurysms can cause stroke-like symptoms, visual problems, seizures, and nosebleeds. Read about brain aneurysm treatment, recovery, surgery, causes, symptoms, survival rates, rupture, and prevention.

MRI time!

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk View Post
                Food poisoning starting with a sudden intense headache? None of your coworkers got ill?

You might want to describe that to a doctor.
                My stomach was making noises but the headache was the thing I really took notice of first. I shared the spring rolls with two co-workers and, as far as I know (remember I left work soon after), I was the only one who got sick so I suspect it was either the banh mi or the pork sticky bun (only ate half of the sticky bun) which did it.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk View Post
                  I knew it sounded familiar.

A brain aneurysm is a dangerous, potentially life-threatening condition. Brain aneurysms can cause stroke-like symptoms, visual problems, seizures, and nosebleeds. Read about brain aneurysm treatment, recovery, surgery, causes, symptoms, survival rates, rupture, and prevention.

MRI time!
                  Just to be sure I'll schedule a visit to the doctor though I really do think it was food poisoning and not an aneurysm. The headache only lasted a couple of hours then I went to sleep. When I woke up everything was fine.

Comment

It seems really fast to be food poisoning.

Comment

Only things that start in under an hour with headache is nitrites or histamines.

Comment

It does seem fast. It was about 40 minutes, maybe a bit longer but not much.

Comment

I agree. Oerdin, what did you eat in the 12-15 hours preceding the incident?
                          Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                          RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Nothing unusual. Heck, I hadn't even had a beer for a week and a half. Dinner the night before was a beef stew and vegetable stew which both of us ate but she never got sick so I don't think it's that. I didn't eat breakfast that morning either.

Comment

Luckily, we'll easily be able to track down everything you've eaten in the last two years by examining your posts here on Poly.

Comment

Working...
                              X