• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice puppy.
    Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

increased gas tax => people buy more efficient cars => use less gas overall => overall gas bill goes down

+ strategic benefits of decreased reliance on overseas oil.
      + possibly makes alternate fuel car development more competitive.

Not a short term policy, but arguably a long term win.
      Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
      Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
      We've got both kinds

Comment

Also it might have led in the past to more efficient cities, and might still lead that way in the future.

JM
        Jon Miller-
        I AM.CANADIAN
        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

But guys...

Originally posted by Rick Santorum
          We went into a recession in 2008 because of gasoline prices. The bubble burst in housing because people couldn’t pay their mortgages because of $4-a-gallon gasoline.
          Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
          "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Raising taxes on gas is needed to help the US become less foreign oil dependent. If gas was ~$2 higher per gallon, people would have second thoughts about the V8 Tahoes that I see littering the local streets.

I'm due for a new car this year, my truck is 10 years old and time for an upgrade. I'm really leaning towards a Camaro, but with gas ticking up lately, been musing a Prius as well, but only due to gas prices as the Camaro does not get good mileage. However, I only drive about 7k miles per year so even the latest uptick has me concerned, not so much with the current level but with the trend and the tendency to hold a car for so long.

I have also liked electrics, but that technology has not matured enough for me to be an EAoNT (Early Adopter of New Technology). Either of the two current model that are available and in my price range (Volt/Leaf) could work for me though as my main drive is to work and back; we take the wife's gas power vehicle on all other trips. I'm concerned about the battery life though.

However, raising the gas taxes will impact the lower 50% more than anyone else and may not even influence the upper 50% to make the transition to smaller more fuel efficient vehicles. I am in the upper 10%, and I think a major hike would influence me.
            We're sorry, the voices in my head are not available at this time. Please try back again soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
              But guys...

That, as dumb as it is, is still better than his comment that anyone who wants to help make college more affordable for regular people is really just an elitist comment. Yes, old Rick doesn't want Americans to go to college because he believes they just brainwash people there so good god fearing Republicans should make sure to never send their kids to college.

I guess Santorum got the memo that college grads, educated people who can think for themselves, tend to not vote Republican.
              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

"Why don't we raise the gas tax" asks the guy who doesn't own a car
                <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Originally posted by Dinner View Post
                  That, as dumb as it is, is still better than his comment that anyone who wants to help make college more affordable for regular people is really just an elitist comment. Yes, old Rick doesn't want Americans to go to college because he believes they just brainwash people there so good god fearing Republicans should make sure to never send their kids to college.

I guess Santorum got the memo that college grads, educated people who can think for themselves, tend to not vote Republican.
                  Interestingly, Santorum holds three degrees.
                  "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                    The federal gas tax hasn't been raised since 1993.
                    I fundamentally disagree with the fact that taxes should inherently keep going up.
                    "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

So you think the government should collect less and less revenue as time goes on?

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
                        So you think the government should collect less and less revenue as time goes on?
                        No...not necissarily. Revenue should be tied to expenditure in some way. There are many ways that revenue can grow disproportinatly to expense in many cases. Just the opposite can happen in others.

I think we should be careful both what we spend and what we tax.

My point is that a tax should not go up just because it hasn't gone up in a while. To me, that is poor reasoning.
                        "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

If inflation exists, then taxes must increase over time to maintain a constant level of effectiveness.

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
                            1) there is more congestion than there was before
                            2) the evidence for global warming is much better now than it was in 1993
                            3) equally large cars drive more mpg today
                            4) the gas tax has never between high enough in the us
                            This is all correct and especially #4. As gribbler pointed out, roads aren't fully funded by gas taxes and that is not even considering the negative externalities of pollution and its effects.
                            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Toll booths are also great ideas.
                              If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                              ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Absolutely. Privatised roads, making profit. It's the american way.
                                Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                                Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                                We've got both kinds

Comment

Working...
                                X