Why don't we raise the gas tax?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Felch View Post
    Trying to include externalities like air pollution is where you go too far. How would you possibly set a price on it?
    So who ends up paying for the consequences of automobile air pollution? I mean we all eventually do, but is it (in your words) "fair" to shift the cost to everyone as opposed to having most of the costs paid for by drivers?
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by PLATO View Post
      Here are some interesting numbers:
      Federal Excise tax on gas is 18.4 cents per gallon.
      I think there is room for a slight raise - here (denmark) the tax is something like $1.20 pr liter (total price ~ $2.5 pr liter).
      With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat View Post
        I think there is room for a slight raise - here (denmark) the tax is something like $1.20 pr liter (total price ~ $2.5 pr liter).
        Each state has their own tax on top of that (except Alaska).
        Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

Originally posted by ColdWizard View Post
          Each state has their own tax on top of that (except Alaska).
          Yeah, but there still is a little difference between 20 cents + local taxes and approx $4.5
          With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Here is what Tennessee does on a state level:
            Tennessee’s gasoline tax

• 21.4 cents per gallon (20 cent gasoline tax + 1.4 cent special petroleum fee)
            • Yields $668.9 million per year
            • Each penny is worth about $31.3 million per year

How the tax is divided

•7.9 cents, or $246.8 million, goes to cities and counties
            •Approximately .7 cent, or $22.1 million, goes to the State General Fund
            •Approximately 12.8 cents, or $400.1 million, goes to TDOT

The $400.1 million is included in TDOT's total state revenue of $874,300,000 and is used in three basic ways to accomplish TDOT's mission:

1. Basic operating costs
            2. Highway maintenance contracts
            3. Resurfacing, bridges, major reconstruction, new construction, consultant contracts, right-of-way purchases, and to match federal funds
            This makes the total tax on a gallon of gas in Tennessee at 39.8 cents per gallon (federal + state).

Roads here seem pretty good to me. Of course, TDOT (TN Dept of Transportation) does an excellent job allocating its funds imo.
            "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

3.785 liters in a gallon
              ~0.48 dollars tax per gallon

~0.12 dollars tax per liter

The usual tax on gas is ~1/10 of what denmark pays.

JM
              Jon Miller-
              I AM.CANADIAN
              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

and in Illinois, besides the state tax, there is also a county tax, and Chicago also tacks on a city tax. I'm waiting for the neighborhood tax.
                It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil View Post
                  But not entirely?

Raise the gas taxes simultaneous to public transit fares. If we all have to pay for what we use....
                  Nope. You want to encourage public transit usage since it, presumably, is a more efficient use of gasoline resources.
                  "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                  "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                    Nope. You want to encourage public transit usage since it, presumably, is a more efficient use of gasoline resources.
                    So...? If people use gasoline inefficiently they bear the cost of their decision, assuming it's taxed sufficiently to compensate for the costs to society. Buses should pay the tax too, of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                      So who ends up paying for the consequences of automobile air pollution? I mean we all eventually do, but is it (in your words) "fair" to shift the cost to everyone as opposed to having most of the costs paid for by drivers?
                      If your coworker loves boiled cabbage and beans, does he owe you money every time he farts?
                      John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by gribbler View Post
                        So...? If people use gasoline inefficiently they bear the cost of their decision, assuming it's taxed sufficiently to compensate for the costs to society. Buses should pay the tax too, of course.
                        The point is to encourage people to use other forms of transportation. Hiking public transit fares (which includes trains) is not going to give people incentive to use alternate transportation methods besides driving their own cars. You want to make using transit a worthwhile alternative, not only because the emissions and congestion from more public transit use would be less but economies of scale in public transit mean that it becomes more efficient the more people use it.

Discouraging public transit use defeats the entire social purpose of a gas tax. If anything, we may even want to use some of the revenue from the tax to SUBSIDIZE public transit to further encourage people away from driving their own cars to taking transit!
                        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                          The point is to encourage people to use other forms of transportation. Hiking public transit fares (which includes trains) is not going to give people incentive to use alternate transportation methods besides driving their own cars. You want to make using transit a worthwhile alternative, not only because the emissions and congestion from more public transit use would be less but economies of scale in public transit mean that it becomes more efficient the more people use it.

Discouraging public transit use defeats the entire social purpose of a gas tax. If anything, we may even want to use some of the revenue from the tax to SUBSIDIZE public transit to further encourage people away from driving their own cars to taking transit!
                          No. Why would we subsidize public transit? This is social engineering. Why do you feel the urge to collectivize something for no apparent reason? If gasoline use pollutes and puts wear and tear on the roads then buses should pay the same gas tax that cars and trucks pay.

Comment

Originally posted by gribbler View Post
                            No. Why would we subsidize public transit? This is social engineering. Why do you feel the urge to collectivize something for no apparent reason? If gasoline use pollutes and puts wear and tear on the roads then buses should pay the same gas tax that cars and trucks pay.
                            Because we're trying to discourage personal car use which is, per person, more costly to society than bus and train usage is per person. We want to transfer people from using their personal cars to using the train. You don't accomplish that if you make train usage as costly as car usage!

If we give them no cost-beneficial alternative, they'll just keep driving to their detriment or won't be able to travel (which includes to their place of employment).

Comment

Settle down. No one is going to make mass transit as expensive as owning a car.

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
                                Interestingly, Santorum holds three degrees.
                                That's the hypocrisy. He holds three degrees but is telling his followers not to send their kids to college because Obama will brainwash them there. I mean that's just loony tunes.
                                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Working...
                                X