KH were you in Newport Beach recently?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dinner View Post
    Tomatoes are from central America so they tend to need warm weather. For instance in the UK for 9 months out of the year tomatoes need to be grown in green houses. I expect the same to be true in Sweden.

We grow tomatoes, corn, sunflowers, etc. in a climate much like Sweden's, only drier. Yes, we have a shorter growing season, but we get sunlight for longer periods (not sure how much that helps, but I imagine some) and there are different varieties for different conditions.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• About the only thing nobody here grows are grapes, that I know of. Bananas and other things that come from permanent tropical plants do not work either.

Some variety or other of just about anything seasonal (correct term?) can be found in gardens somewhere around here.
      (\__/)
      (='.'=)
      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
        No. Because then you turn into a modern American. Is that better?
        yes. not as good as say, western europe, but better than most places in the world and indeed as gribbler says in human history.

but the real question is why you think that the world would be a better place with people who 'have a knife to their throats' than with kind and gentle people. that just sounds bizarre.
        "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

• I would suspect Al is not talking about the quality of life in the US, but rather the quality of people we're turning out these days.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aeson View Post
            I would suspect Al is not talking about the quality of life in the US, but rather the quality of people we're turning out these days.
            Of course, but don't let that get in the way of their strawmen. And it's not these days. It's been going like this for decades. I'd hazard a guess that the 'Greatest Generation' that grew up in the Depression and fought in WW2 was the last generation that had it hard.
            "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
            "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• And yet some how, this generation of moral neerdowells have managed to skirt an economic catastrophe the likes of the Great Depression (so far) in extremely challenging circumstances.
              (\__/)
              (='.'=)

Comment

Tomatoes are from central America so they tend to need warm weather. For instance in the UK for 9 months out of the year tomatoes need to be grown in green houses. I expect the same to be true in Sweden.
                9 months seems a bit long tbh, our warm season can be quite a bit more than 3 months, but it just depends on the year really.

Comment

• I did not put enough thought into my first reply. The 9 months greenhouse thing, mostly sure.

The topic of this threadjack is what can be grown in a garden during the summer months in northern climates.
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=)

Comment

• I'd love to get back into growing veg, but it's been quite a few years since I had a suitable garden. Definitely feel old enough and chilled out enough now to devote the time to it though.

Comment

Of course, but don't let that get in the way of their strawmen. And it's not these days. It's been going like this for decades. I'd hazard a guess that the 'Greatest Generation' that grew up in the Depression and fought in WW2 was the last generation that had it hard.
                      what strawmen? you've completely failed to answer my questions.

how do you expect people to engage with your views if you can't even explain or answer basic questions about them.
                      "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

• Originally posted by C0ckney View Post
                        but the real question is why you think that the world would be a better place with people who 'have a knife to their throats' than with kind and gentle people. that just sounds bizarre.
                        It's not kind and gentle people that are created by our lifestyle. It's weak and spoiled brats. Kind and gentle? See how gentle the muggers are in America.
                        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

It's not kind and gentle people that are created by our lifestyle. It's weak and spoiled brats. Kind and gentle? See how gentle the muggers are in America.
                          ok so this is both unclear and doesn't appear to add anything to the discussion. maybe my questions could be better, so let me try again. you said that

"We need to live with a knife to our throats. It will build a tougher, better breed of American. "

what do you mean by 'a knife to our throats'? war? poverty? government oppression? or oppression by some other social force? something else entirely?

then please explain how and why this 'knife to the throat' would create better people.

Comment

If the muggers are so brutal I guess you consider muggings a character-building exercise that will breed a tougher, better American. We need to live with a knife to our throats, of course. Maybe the punishment for robbery should be reduced.

Comment

I've never been mugged but then again I don't live in a ghetto.
                              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I've never been mugged but then again I don't live in a ghetto.
                                5x. 2 other attempts that I got away from.

Comment

Working...
                                X