Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Have You Given Up for Lent and Why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DaShi View Post
    A lot of my Jewish friends seemed amused when I said Catholicism.

But then they asked if that was really a sacrifice. For a long time, I've been a lapsed Catholic, yet had often described myself as one. I viewed it more as less as a religion and more as a way of life, having been raised Catholic with all the good and ill. Thus, I may not have been a devout Catholic, it was still a part of my identity. Recent events have shown me that it is time to cast off that identity. To further associate myself with Catholicism was unfair to Catholics and myself. So, yes, it was a sacrifice but one I feel that I will be better off for.
    If someone tells you about Jesus do you still call yourself catholic?

OP: I've never given up anything for Lent. I sin too much anyway that I should give something up for god. I should stop sinning everyday all the time.
    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin View Post
      Did the Catholic church bring back no meat on Fridays worldwide, or is it just the UK that's reintroduced that habit recently?
      Ever since the 60's the rule applies only during Lent
      <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Giving up Poly and video games, starting tomorrow when Orthodox Lent begins. I should be following the far more rigorous fast prescribed, but that's impractical for a slew of reasons.
        1011 1100
        Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

I gave up $20 when I Lent it to somebody........

ACK!
          Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Windows Vista.

I think it might last beyond Easter.
            The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Originally posted by loinburger View Post
              Ever since the 60's the rule applies only during Lent
              I assume you mean in the US. In the UK, since last September or so it came into "force" all year round.
              One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

That's bizarre - usually the Vatican cracks down on people trying to revert to pre-60's rules (an archbishop or cardinal (I forget which) in the US was excommunicated for insisting on Latin masses)

Comment

This is what I'm talking about. I was wrong, the excommunicated archbishop was French (though the sect is ridiculously popular in the US), and the excommunication was more for creating a schism than for being a traditionalist

Comment

I see that you are still a liar.
                    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

At least he's honest enough to admit when he is wrong. Unlike others here.
                      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Nowt. Thanks to the gall bladder problems last year, I'm happily spending my time getting reacquainted with all the foods I might have wanted to have eaten last year.

The African bakery near me has seen some of my business and my friend from Cameroon cooked some spicy tripe with potatoes and mixed peppers. Divine.....
                        Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Working...
                        X