Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Have You Given Up for Lent and Why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Have You Given Up for Lent and Why?

A lot of my Jewish friends seemed amused when I said Catholicism.

But then they asked if that was really a sacrifice. For a long time, I've been a lapsed Catholic, yet had often described myself as one. I viewed it more as less as a religion and more as a way of life, having been raised Catholic with all the good and ill. Thus, I may not have been a devout Catholic, it was still a part of my identity. Recent events have shown me that it is time to cast off that identity. To further associate myself with Catholicism was unfair to Catholics and myself. So, yes, it was a sacrifice but one I feel that I will be better off for.
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

What made you lose interest in Catholicism? Did you have a bad experience at church when you were a boy and start avoiding churches?

Comment

I grew up.

But seriously, I found it hard to reconcile the behavior of the Church with my own beliefs on what is right. The child molestation and the status of women in the Church were significant contributors.
      “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

I have given up sleeping at night.

Comment

Being a protestant without a sense of whimsy, I have given up nothing.
          No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

I always used to give up chocolate
            <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

More for me.
              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I generally gave up going to church. Or I would have, if mom had ever tried to make me go at any point other than Christmas and Easter.
                If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                ){ :|:& };:

Comment

I've given up sex with women.
                  A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

That would actually be a pretty good thing to give up...it could even be a cover story for gayness!
                    If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                    ){ :|:& };:

Comment

I gave up land based animals (ie, I have become a pescatarian for Lent). Last year I gave up alcohol.
                      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I do believe I can hear the sound of all farm animal anuses sighing in relief.
                        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Nothing, as I do not agree with artificial coupling of morals, myths and rituals.
                          Graffiti in a public toilet
                          Do not require skill or wit
                          Among the **** we all are poets
                          Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

I gave up giving up things...
                            Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Did the Catholic church bring back no meat on Fridays worldwide, or is it just the UK that's reintroduced that habit recently?
                              One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Working...
                              X