No announcement yet.

Fair is fair . . . Georgia Democrats propose an anti-vasectomy bill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We could be the Butch and Sundance of Vacuum aspiration.
    The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

• No, an excuse is just that, regardless of which side you're on. The law should be a tool of what's right, not a justification.
      No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

• But then what is "right"? The prevailing will of the majority, or appeal to a code of conduct independent of public opinion?

Comment

• A hard question. One is tempted to reply prevailing will, in that would certainly make things easier and more palatable, but then one remembers things like slavery and infant exposure. Therefore I must choose the code.

Comment

• Every generation thinks it knows whats best, and vilifies the morality of those that came before and after.

Comment

• Embryos' before 22 weeks aren't statistically viable (normally, something like 10% live, and in 90% of those that live, have severe learning disabilities). Embryos after 24 weeks are viable with only 10% of cases having Learning Disabilities. That is generally a good place to start when determining to ban abortion. All IIRC.

However, what this comes down to is Jon thinking his opinions count more than anyone elses.
              Last edited by Krill; February 24, 2012, 19:05.
              You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

• Originally posted by Krill View Post
                Embryos' before 22 weeks aren't statistically viable (normally, something like 10% live, and in 90% of those that live, have severe learning disabilities). Embryos after 24 weeks are viable with only 10% of cases having Learning Disabilities. That is generally a good place to start when determining to ban abortion. All IIRC.

However, what this comes down to is Jon thinking his opinions count more than anyone elses.
                Well, when you stand against baby murder everyone else is wrong. Because dogs are babies too.
                "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Embryos' before 22 weeks aren't statistically viable (normally, in 90% of cases, have severe learning disabilities). Embryos after 24 weeks are viable with only 10% of cases having Learning Disabilities. That is generally a good place to start when determining to ban abortion.
                  Well, it certainly beats any "can it think" criteria, which are just plain daft IMO. If you're going by the presence or absence of thoughts, you could likely get away with wasting pretty much any infant less than six weeks old. Unless he's a bloody genius, he's not thinking anything that couldn't be thought better by a stray dog. But I'm not sure that viability is super-useful either, unless you're arguing for inducing the birth at that stage and giving it up for adoption as an alternative.

Doesn't everyone?
                  1011 1100
                  Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Embryos' before 22 weeks aren't statistically viable (normally, something like 10% live, and in 90% of those that live, have severe learning disabilities). Embryos after 24 weeks are viable with only 10% of cases having Learning Disabilities. That is generally a good place to start when determining to ban abortion. All IIRC.

Your numbers are significantly off.

A large minority of 24 weekers never leave the hospital alive, and the vast majority that do have significant health and cognitive issues for the rest of their lives. I don't remember the exact numbers, but I think it isn't until 30 or so weeks when patients are more likely to be "normal" than not.
                    "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                    "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• Originally posted by Elok View Post
                      Well, it certainly beats any "can it think" criteria, which are just plain daft IMO. If you're going by the presence or absence of thoughts, you could likely get away with wasting pretty much any infant less than six weeks old. Unless he's a bloody genius, he's not thinking anything that couldn't be thought better by a stray dog. But I'm not sure that viability is super-useful either, unless you're arguing for inducing the birth at that stage and giving it up for adoption as an alternative.
                      The thread has already gone over illegal abortions, but frankly what would legally happen to a pregnant women if she tried to overdose to abort a fetus? Or self harmed? Viability is reasonable place to start with the legalities simply because short of locking up women that try to abort a foetuses (because it's obviously not their foetus, right?) there isn't much you can do to women that want an abortion.

That's what this comes down to. If Jon really cares about the embryos, then he needs to safeguard them from potential illegal abortions after he manages to make abortions illegal. If a women tries to abort a foetus, lock her up so she doesn't do it again. Or if she gets pregnant lock her up until she gives birth.

Great idea

Doesn't everyone?
                      Actually, as a healthcare professional we're expected to be non-judgmental. Whether I believe abortion (or euthanasia, or chemotherapy, or even ****ing blood transfusions) to be unethical because of my beliefs shouldn't affect the care that I give to my patients. Just think of all those catholic doctors and nurses that refuse to perform specific medical treatment (even Jons' hospital and blood transfusion drama)
                      You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

• A far more interesting topic is the one about under what what circumstances should parents be able to euthanise kids after they are born.

Before anyone shrieks in horror about that, google "Harlequin Ichthyosis"- but not if the indescribable and utterly hopeless suffering of babies might upset you.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bugs ****ing Bunny View Post
                          A far more interesting topic is the one about under what what circumstances should parents be able to euthanise kids after they are born.

Before anyone shrieks in horror about that, google "Harlequin Ichthyosis"- but not if the indescribable and utterly hopeless suffering of babies might upset you.
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	Harlequin_Ichthyosis.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	9092856
                          "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                          'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

• Originally posted by Guynemer View Post
                            Your numbers are significantly off.

A large minority of 24 weekers never leave the hospital alive, and the vast majority that do have significant health and cognitive issues for the rest of their lives. I don't remember the exact numbers, but I think it isn't until 30 or so weeks when patients are more likely to be "normal" than not.
                            1) going from memory

2) I'll bow to the peadiatrician, but those aren't the numbers I've seen bandied around, specifically since working in a Learning disability environment. Still, time to go looking through articles.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bugs ****ing Bunny View Post
                              A far more interesting topic is the one about under what what circumstances should parents be able to euthanise kids after they are born.

These are, again, corner cases. What we're referring to are elective abortions by parents who simply do not want the burden of raising a child, or the burden of raising a child who might have a non-life-threatening disability. What you are arguing against is a complete strawman.
                              If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                              ){ :|:& };:

Comment

• I was out by about a week:

Group of MPs seek to cut the number of weeks which pregnant women are allowed to seek abortions

It is not a view shared by the scientific community, however. Research shows that 24-week viability limit has not changed in recent years. While 67 per cent of babies born at 25 weeks survive to go home from neo-natal unites, only 26 per cent survive if born at 23 weeks. Scientists have reached a limit below which they cannot keep a baby alive and ensure it has an unimpaired life. Nor is this limit likely to improve.
                                Also see: Bainbridge, J. (2008) Abortion: sticking with the 24-week limit British Journal of Midwifery vol: 16, no 7.
                                Last edited by Krill; February 24, 2012, 19:41.

Comment

Working...
                                X