No announcement yet.

Fair is fair . . . Georgia Democrats propose an anti-vasectomy bill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The irony Jon is that there are hardly any people who want completely uncontrolled abortion, but people like you force the debate to become to polarized that neither side will work towards a compromise. How likely do you think people are to want to engage in discussion when you call them baby murderers?

It's especially ridiculous considering you said in this very thread that you would allow early term abortions anyway!

Comment

• Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
      The doubt is mostly invented by those who wish for abortion to continue. For there to be no restrictions on their right to abortion.
      Definitely not.

First, the extremists on the other end are saying there should be no abortion allowed at all. They're trying to "invent" doubt in the opposite direction. It happens on both extremes. (It also happens in the middle when people pretend there is no doubt, which itself can be "inventing" doubt in the reality which is that there is doubt.)

Second, we simply do not have the technological sophistication to answer the question of when a glob of cells becomes a person deserving of rights. You and I would both say ~"detectable brain activity" IIRC. It's not a fact though, it's a preference ... an educated guess. We don't understand what sentience is, we can't reproduce it in a laboratory to analyze it. So there's no proof to base that preference on.

Comment

• I have had to live in a society that kills innocent babies all my life.

Are you saying that once I say 'oh, well, it isn't important, abortion isn't important' and so on, that suddenly pro-abortion activists will want to sit down and ban late term abortions where the mother's life is not in immediate risk?

JM
        Jon Miller-
        I AM.CANADIAN
        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aeson View Post
          Second, we simply do not have the technological sophistication to answer the question of when a glob of cells becomes a person deserving of rights. You and I would both say ~"detectable brain activity" IIRC. It's not a fact though, it's a preference ... an educated guess. We don't understand what sentience is, we can't reproduce it in a laboratory to analyze it. So there's no proof to base that preference on.
          I did say mostly.

I would 'stand behind' it as science just like I stand behind the 14 billion y-o universe.

Doesn't mean it couldn't be wrong, just saying that this is what the evidence is pointing towards.

JM
          Jon Miller-
          I AM.CANADIAN
          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• It's perfectly fine to believe it's the best explanation. I think it is myself. (And so would be slightly on the "pro-life" side of where the laws are at right now.) But when you get to accusations of murder and forcing dramatic changes in other people's lives ... it comes with a burden of proof much different than if you're just saying the universe is ~14b years old.

Comment

Are you saying that once I say 'oh, well, it isn't important, abortion isn't important' and so on, that suddenly pro-abortion activists will want to sit down and ban late term abortions where the mother's life is not in immediate risk?
              Oh stop with the hyperbole already. If you want to reach an agreement then you don't run around screaming that half the population are baby murderers.

Comment

• Half the population supports baby murderers.

Just quit your support? Isn't it easier if it is something atrocious?

JM
                Jon Miller-
                I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

• No one is supporting baby murders. They support the vacuuming out of nondescript cell globules which may or may not be viable any way.
                  Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Half the population supports baby murderers.

Just quit your support? Isn't it easier if it is something atrocious?

JM
                    Yeah, hows that working out for you? You think that alienating half the population is ever going to get you any closer to what you want? All it does is piss people off, and pissed off people don't try and compromise, they just become even more fixed on their position or turn even further away out of anger.

Comment

• The Virginia legislature decided to table the "Personhood" bill, which means it won't be brought up again until 2013. (Our legislature is in session only 3 months out of the year.) OTOH it decided to abolish the mandate for the HPV vaccine.
                      "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

• McDonnell
                        If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                        ){ :|:& };:

Comment

• Originally posted by kentonio View Post
                          Yeah, hows that working out for you? You think that alienating half the population is ever going to get you any closer to what you want? All it does is piss people off, and pissed off people don't try and compromise, they just become even more fixed on their position or turn even further away out of anger.
                          It was definitely right for the nonNazi Germans to not say anything!

That is always what causes change in society. Not saying anything, keeping your head down, going with the flow.

JM
                          Jon Miller-
                          I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

• Black people should have never tried for civil rights. What if they'd alienated whites and then they'd never have gotten what they wanted!
                            If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                            ){ :|:& };:

Comment

I have had to live in a society that kills innocent babies all my life.

JM
                              I have to live in a society where people use the term babies to describe zygotes.
                              "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                              'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                                Though not according to some strident proponents of abortion rights. Which is why I think the either/or dichotomy needs to be re-examined.
                                I think a lot of abortion rights folks are terrified of any sort of clawback.
                                "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                                'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Working...
                                X