Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Albert wants to join the marines and can't swim? His life makes me laugh
    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
      It's February.

I live in Philadelphia.

I don't know how to swim.
      Wait wait wait. Seriously? WTF.

Originally posted by Provost Harrison View Post
      Albert wants to join the marines and can't swim?
      QFMFT. QFMFT.

This is like a guy who can't read wanting to be an editor.
      If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
      ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Originally posted by Dinner View Post
        Point taken. That said, being on a ship in a war zone means there is a risk the ship could be sunk or damaged so learning to swim is still a key skill which should be learned. Heck, you could just be on watch and get washed over board by a wave so swimming is a necessary life skill in that job.
        My question is, if he's afraid of swimming, why isn't he afraid of bullets? If someone is uncomfortable in the water, imagine how uncomfortable they'd be on the front lines.

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
          My question is, if he's afraid of swimming, why isn't he afraid of bullets? If someone is uncomfortable in the water, imagine how uncomfortable they'd be on the front lines.
          I reckon he's never been able to afford a place to swim regularly nor have any of his friends.
          "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
          'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

I'm not afraid of swimming. I just don't know how to. I was never taught. I'll take swimming classes when they're available.

Let's not act like the minority/urban swimming gap isn't well-known.
            "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
            "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Al, does any of your friends or family own a car you could practice on? Driving is one of those life skills (like swimming) everyone should know and learning to drive will not only improve your employment opportunities but also your dating opportunities. Women don't like to be taken on the bus during dates.
              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Riding a bike, swimming, driving--these are things my parents forced me to learn over my objections. I've just assumed they were a standard part of growing up. Maybe not driving, for people who live in cities, but biking and swimming definitely.

They really are basic life skills.

Comment

I don't know how to ride a bike, either.
                  "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Wait, you can't drive OR bike? How the **** do you get around Philly? I have my bike here at college with me because the buses suck.

Comment

Riding a bike, swimming, driving--these are things my parents forced me to learn over my objections. I've just assumed they were a standard part of growing up. Maybe not driving, for people who live in cities, but biking and swimming definitely.

Swimming really isn't something you have access to depending on socio-economic level. Unless you're seriously suggesting one learns to swim in the Potomac.
                      'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Originally posted by MRT144 View Post
                        Swimming really isn't something you have access to depending on socio-economic level. Unless you're seriously suggesting one learns to swim in the Potomac.
                        Fairfax county has free rec centers. I'm pretty sure they're free, anyways. If not, they're very inexpensive. Swimming is not exclusive to the rich. It's definitely something even poor people can get access to.

Swimming in the potomac is actually illegal, by the way. The coast guard boats that go up and down the river can and do fine you for it.

Comment

What part of your life isn't like the rest of America do you not understand?

nearly 70% of African American children and 58% of Hispanic children have low or no swim ability, compared to 40% of Caucasians

Comment

Wait, you can't drive OR bike? How the **** do you get around Philly? I have my bike here at college with me because the buses suck.
                            I dont drive or have a bike. I do have two legs and a bus pass though.

Comment

I have working legs. I walk or run. Or take public transit. We have these things called subway trains here.

Comment

Fairfax county has free rec centers. I'm pretty sure they're free, anyways. If not, they're very inexpensive.
                                If none of your friends or family swims, why would you go to the rec center to learn how to swim?

Comment

Working...
                                X