Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When is it okay to call someone a bigot or accuse them of hating?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
    Being against gay marriage isn't neccessarily discrimination. The term discrimination implies prejudice.
    Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
    Not everyone believes in equal rights. That doesn't make them bigots.
    Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
    Being against gay marriage isn't neccessarily discrimination. The term discrimination implies prejudice.
    Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
    You are being a bigot towards other beliefs.
    I don't call you a bigot because you disagree with me.

I call you a bigot because you are intolerant of the opinions of others.
    The amount of unintentional comedy in this thread is delicious.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
      I don't think 'stupid' or 'ignorant' are good ways of saying it.
      I guess that wasn't you saying my mindset was ignorant earlier.

I think those type of words are great to use in regards to *******s who are trying to dictate other people's lives to them based on that lack of understanding.

"Stupid" and "ignorant" gives it a bit of extra vitriol which is well deserved in such cases.

Comment

• I think most of us would agree that kid displays bigotry.

JM
        Jon Miller-
        I AM.CANADIAN
        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aeson View Post
          I guess that wasn't you saying my mindset was ignorant earlier.
          Ignorant is good word to use in some cases.

In yours, for example, where you displayed great ignorance about things as basic as Nazis and Southerners.

Doesn't mean that one word (ignorant) can be used in place of another word (lacking in understanding of others) in all cases.

JM
          Jon Miller-
          I AM.CANADIAN
          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

You are using the terms "intolerant" and "others" way too ambiguously.

I guess if you are not trying to understand me, that explains this thread a bit. I should have maybe guessed that would be the case, but I held out hope. At least I get to understand you better.
            There's nothing to understand. It's blatantly obvious what you are saying. It was obvious in the last thread. I simply disagree with you.

You pretend you're "trying to understand me", yet you started right off with calling me a bigot and misconstruing (admittedly) what I said. You're a hypocrite and a liar Jon.

Comment

• Originally posted by DaShi View Post
              No, I do agree that members of one religion must believe that their religion has a better understanding of god than other religions. However, that creates an inherent belief in moral superiority over other religions because God is their moral center. This leads to several reactions from religious people ranging from pity to violent hatred.
              If that's the case 'believing in your own moral superiority' isn't a bad thing. In this case, yes I think I'm morally superior, and yes, according to Aeson's definition I'm a bigot. So what?

.. and yes I know you are trolling.
              I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
              - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

In yours, for example, where you displayed great ignorance about things as basic as Nazis and Southerners.
                So are you saying there were no Nazis who thought Jews were subhuman? Are you saying there were no slave holders who thought it was their God given right (as stated in the Bible in their interpretation) to hold slaves?

Comment

I think most of us would agree that kid displays bigotry.

JM
                  Go suck a lemon!

Comment

So are you saying there were no Nazis who thought Jews were subhuman? Are you saying there were no slave holders who thought it was their God given right (as stated in the Bible in their interpretation) to hold slaves?
                    Nazis thought that Jews were subhuman due to the european fear/etc of those different. It wasn't just the Jews, it was Gypsies/etc too.

Same with the southerners (actually, europeans from ~1400 to ~1900) and their interpretation of the Bible (actually, many didn't even use that excuse, that was only after many other excuses had failed in the 18th century. note that before ~1500 africans were too exotic and the other was generally closer to home).

Once more, you are ignorant on this subject, please read. This is a fact, it isn't because I disagree with your opinions.

JM
                    Jon Miller-
                    I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

• For the record, Jon you are a bigot. You think you are morally superior to others, and you think you are smarter than others.

I don't really understand what you're trying to say in this thread. But you're making an ass of yourself you hypocrite!

Comment

• You're hilarious Jon.

I said there were Nazis who thought Jews were subhuman. I also said there were slave holders who thought it was their God given right.

... you called me ignorant for that.

Now you confirmed that there were. (Which we all knew there were examples of.)

... but you still call me ignorant for it.

... then you say "please read"

You can't even read what's here in this thread!

Comment

I guess if you are not trying to understand me, that explains this thread a bit. I should have maybe guessed that would be the case, but I held out hope. At least I get to understand you better.

JM

I say again, Aeson is not an intolerant person. He isn't intolerant of others beliefs. He just disagrees with you. You're being an ass.

Comment

Nazis thought that Jews were subhuman due to the european fear/etc of those different. It wasn't just the Jews, it was Gypsies/etc too.
                            What 'european fear/etc of those different'? Are you implying that europeans think differently to other regional peoples? ****ing bigot. :P

More seriously, you're talking nonsense. Jews were the target of intentional and directed hate for the best part of two millenium, largly because of your Christian lot. The holocaust was a direct result of the deliberate fueling of that hatred, deflecting genuine concerns about living standards by targeting peoples hate towards a group that were traditionally easy to pick on. It had nothing to do with 'different', it was a deliberate selection of some races or sections of society as inferior.

Same with the southerners (actually, europeans from ~1400 to ~1900)
                            What does that even mean? Would you like to highlight any particular regional group of people in that period who didn't share similar mindsets, or are you just an anti-european?

Comment

You're hilarious Jon.

I said there were Nazis who thought Jews were subhuman. I also said there were slave holders who thought it was their God given right.

... you called me ignorant for that.

Now you confirmed that there were. (Which we all knew there were examples of.)

... but you still call me ignorant for it.

... then you say "please read"

You can't even read what's here in this thread!
                              I said that the root reasons were fear of others and to read studies/etc about the psychology about it.

Please, put some thought into your posts.

I guess this is just you demonstrating that you are not interested in understanding me.

JM
                              Last edited by Jon Miller; February 19, 2012, 08:51.
                              Jon Miller-
                              I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

• Originally posted by kentonio View Post
                                More seriously, you're talking nonsense. Jews were the target of intentional and directed hate for the best part of two millenium, largly because of your Christian lot. The holocaust was a direct result of the deliberate fueling of that hatred, deflecting genuine concerns about living standards by targeting peoples hate towards a group that were traditionally easy to pick on. It had nothing to do with 'different', it was a deliberate selection of some races or sections of society as inferior.
                                Please read psychological textbooks/discussions.

Why were the europeans so anti-jewish. It isn't because of some inherent anti-jewness in Christianity. American Christianity is very pro-jews.

And I am not singling out europeans. Those were Aeson's examples and so that is what I referred to.

As I said, it is something that is common to all humans, of every culture.

You can see this in Japan, Uganda, China, US, South America... every race, culture, and people.

Please, you are ignorant. You don't understand or appreciate the academic study into the root causes of human interaction.

I tried to look on google books, but unfortunately textbooks are incomplete:
                                `When considering a volume that has essentially the form of a textbook, particular criteria apply. It is important that it is accurate, up-to-date and covers an appropriate range of material in an accessible and stimulating manner. It is important that it is a flexible vehicle for use with diverse courses, and does not overly impose a particular or narrow intellectual structure. In all these respects, this text is to be recommended.... Finally, it is important that all students of social psychology should try to see the historical and cultural linkages that extend across and through its subject area, and this is the other message that comes across from this exceptionally well thought-through book' - Journal of Community and Applied So

JM
                                Jon Miller-
                                I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Working...
                                X