No announcement yet.

I wouldn't have kept my cool.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's an attack that is entirely as offensive as you decide to make it. You have a conscious choice to be offended. If someone is an *******, that reflects on them, not you, and I would hope grown adults would move past this, but clearly that's not the case.

What's bad is when you have a large group of people who use the slur to signify that they think a minority is below them. Clearly, as evidenced by the fact that this could get the guy fired, this guy is not one of many. So you can't pretend that it makes someone reasonably feel isolated and inferior.
    If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
    ){ :|:& };:

Comment

By the way, I think it's entirely different when someone says this in school. I do not consider it reasonable to expect a child to have to endure such taunts, no matter how sporadically.
      If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
      ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
        I wouldn't have "told Intel".

What I would've done is create a website documenting all of his personal information and identifying him to be a racist, with supporting documentation. Google will never forget.

If you're extra vengeful, hire a SEO company (it's cheaper than you think) to bring the page up to the first pages on Google for some queries. Maybe style the website in such a way that it potentially goes viral.
        Getting sued by the guy will sure be fun!
        "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
          Revenge can bite you in the ass later on. Something that might seem free of consequences now might have severe ones down the road. There's no point in creating conflict where it can just be avoided or ignored.

Not big enough of a deal to worry about it. There's so much racist crap on the internet. Go on xbox live. It's always ni**r this, ni**er that.

Funny that Boris is criticizing your position of privilege but stuff like this is what riles up white people with white guilt. Despite the Al Sharptons, most Black people let stuff like this slide.
          "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
          "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

I'd also just ignore it. My mountain of skulls is high enough.
            “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
            "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov View Post
              What? Honkey? Rich?

As Louis CK noted, you can't really hurt white people's feelings like that. "OOoooh, how dare you call me 'honkey!' Ruined my day! Reminding me of a time when I owned land and people..."

It doesn't take a master of empathy to recognize that slurs have a much greater impact on minorities who have, historically, not had any power in a society. It's a different level of attack than standard bullying or people being an ******* to you.

I was first exposed to racism and racist **** as a child when I went to a hospital where there were some aboriginal children. I was six.

I was given a daily course of I am a whitey and I should call them wagon burners, or some such. I did not buy into the programme, and so some guy threw my craft project off a balcony.

As a six year old, I really could have used a less ruined day.
              (\__/)
              (='.'=)
              (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Why is informing Intel "revenge"? Guy x choose to be a racist frakk and if this gets him in trouble it's the consequence of his own asshatteria. Big companies these days don't want to be associated with someone like him. You'd actually do Intel a favour. I think the guy should be tasered out of his job.
                Blah

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov View Post
                  So, is it turn the other cheek? Or do you think there should be consequences for such ****ed up behavior?
                  1) Yes
                  2) Yes

If the guy is that blatantly racist, and proud about it, he's likely got a history of racism more directly related to his work environment that he can be pulled up on by his employer. No need to get involved. Trust in his racism getting him in trouble in the future.
                  One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Given the sudden out-of-character nature of the post, and its puerile nature, my immediate reaction would be "Oh look. Another social networking account hacked by 4chan".
                    The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Frape.

Comment

Foursquare seems to be a really stupid idea. Let complete strangers know where you are and where you hang out. It seems like a handy tool for stalkers, thieves and people seeking vengeance.

ACK!
                        Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                          Getting sued by the guy will sure be fun!
                          In America, land of free speech, you can get sued by documenting what somebody says on a public forum?

What a country.
                          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Hey, Boris, does your friend Reggie live in Texas?
                            urgh.NSFW

Comment

Working...
                            X