I wouldn't have kept my cool.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I wouldn't have kept my cool.

My best friend Reggie related to me over dinner tonight about an incident he encountered on foursquare. For those who don't know, foursquare is an app/website where you check in at a location. People who are "friends" with you on foursquare can see where you check in and comment on it.

Reggie makes it a habit to check in to track places he goes to and enjoys. He and his wife eat out a lot. The "friends" he's made on foursquare are not anyone he's actually met--frequently complete strangers (anyone at the location where you check in can see when you do so) will add you as a friend, no actual interaction required. There was one guy here in the Portland area he had interacted with on the app, named "Phil W" They had exchanged comments on each other's check ins, always just asking how the place was and so forth. Absolutely nothing really personal was involved.

The other day, Reggie "checked in" at his own house when he got home from work. He often does this because his wife uses the app and he does that rather than sending her a text that he's home if she's somewhere else. A few minutes later, Reggie saw that Phil W had left a comment on his check in.

The comment was one word:

"******s"

Reggie was naturally stunned by this. One of the things about the app is that you know a lot of details about your "friends" on it. He knew that Phil W worked for Intel, and Reggie happens to have a ton of contacts there that he works with on a regular basis.

He thought a bit, and responded, "Dude, anyone on foursquare you know can see what you just wrote. I know you work on Intel. Is this really something you want people to see?"

After a few minutes, Phil W responded:

"Yup."

At this point Reggie had a dilemma. He was ****ing furious, shaking with anger over this. He was confident that he could show this to his Intel contacts and end this ****er's career. He knows enough people in the industry to make sure he doesn't get a job anywhere near it.

Yet, he simply unfriended Phil W on foursquare and left it at that. He's related this story to 5 people now, 3 men and 2 women. All three of the men (including me) said they would have sent this to Intel and taught the ******* a lesson. Both women said to drop it, it wasn't worth the potential escalation problems.

In the end, Reggie probably made the right call. We thought about the possibility that it was some douchebag acquaintance of Phil W's who got a hold of his phone and decided to play a joke, but that seems pretty unlikely to me. If that were the case and I was Phil W, once I saw what my friend had done, he would a) cease to be my friend, and b) I would make every effort to contact Reggie by any means I could to apologize and explain the situation. No such attempt had been made.

So, is it turn the other cheek? Or do you think there should be consequences for such ****ed up behavior?
    Report the bastard to his boss
    40.00%
    Forget it, not worth the hassle
    60.00%
    Hitman, of course.
    0.00%
    Tutto nel mondo è burla

Reggie's Black?

I would've left it alone like Reggie did. If we were to go on a crusade every time someone says something racist, it'd be a full-time job.
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

I agree with Reggie. The correct response to this is "meh".

Seriously, who cares? It's exactly as insulting as you decide to be insulted.
      If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
      ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
        Reggie's Black?

I would've left it alone like Reggie did. If we were to go on a crusade every time someone says something racist, it'd be a full-time job.
        Yes, he is. Foursquare has profile pics that people can see.

I don't think it's a "crusade" to make someone account for a direct slur.
        Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post

Ah, spoken from the perch of privilege...
          Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

I wouldn't have "told Intel".

What I would've done is create a website documenting all of his personal information and identifying him to be a racist, with supporting documentation. Google will never forget.

If you're extra vengeful, hire a SEO company (it's cheaper than you think) to bring the page up to the first pages on Google for some queries. Maybe style the website in such a way that it potentially goes viral.
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov View Post
              Yes, he is. Foursquare has profile pics that people can see.

I don't think it's a "crusade" to make someone account for a direct slur.
              Well his name is Reggie so I figured he's Black. Is that racist?

Sticks and stones, man. Why start a fight and a fight where the consequences can bite you in the ass, over some words put on the internet?
              "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
              "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Amen!

Spec.
                -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                  Well his name is Reggie so I figured he's Black. Is that racist?

Sticks and stones, man. Why start a fight and a fight where the consequences can bite you in the ass, over some words put on the internet?
                  What consequences, exactly?

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
                    I wouldn't have "told Intel".

What I would've done is create a website documenting all of his personal information and identifying him to be a racist, with supporting documentation. Google will never forget.

If you're extra vengeful, hire a SEO company (it's cheaper than you think) to bring the page up to the first pages on Google for some queries. Maybe style the website in such a way that it potentially goes viral.
                    Relayed.
                    Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov View Post
                      Ah, spoken from the perch of privilege...
                      Uh, privilege has nothing to do with it...is that just the random insult you pull out when you want to disagree with me or Kuci but don't feel like using your brain?

Comment

Originally posted by gribbler View Post
                        What consequences, exactly?
                        Revenge can bite you in the ass later on. Something that might seem free of consequences now might have severe ones down the road. There's no point in creating conflict where it can just be avoided or ignored.

Comment

Uh, privilege has nothing to do with it...is that just the random insult you pull out when you want to disagree with me or Kuci but don't feel like using your brain?
                          No, it's a true observation made of someone who has never actually had to deal with racial/ethnic slurs. And your general lack of empathy for others.

Don't drag your brother into it, either. He's much more self-aware.
                          Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

What makes you think I haven't had to deal with slurs, *******s or bullies? (I have, and no, I don't expect you to be sympathetic. I wouldn't be. That would be stupid.)

I'm astonished that you would pretend to have such knowledge of my life. I would be insulted, but hey, it's just the internet.

Comment

What makes you think I haven't had to deal with slurs, *******s or bullies?
                              What? Honkey? Rich?

As Louis CK noted, you can't really hurt white people's feelings like that. "OOoooh, how dare you call me 'honkey!' Ruined my day! Reminding me of a time when I owned land and people..."

It doesn't take a master of empathy to recognize that slurs have a much greater impact on minorities who have, historically, not had any power in a society. It's a different level of attack than standard bullying or people being an ******* to you.
                              Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Working...
                              X