X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove View Post
      Doesn't the monarchy own a big tract of land in London which they still manage themselves? I recall watching a documentary on the royals years ago in which Prince Andrew was shown managing the rentals on the property. IIRC the area is one of the most expensive residential districts in London (Whitehall? Kensington?) I assumed that the profits from those rentals went directly to the royal family.

There are an awful lot of murky holdings. The video in the opening post just focussed on Crown Estates, but there are loads of others- most notably the Duchy of Cornwall. It doesn't pay Corporation tax and is effectively treated as a charity, even though its only beneficiary is Prince Charles.

Comment

Originally posted by C0ckney View Post
        we still have a monarchy because by and large the british people support the institution, much to the annoyance of republicans.
        Britons are divided over whether the Royals are divisive?
        1011 1100
        Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

"The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Tijuana professional services
            In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Charles pays income tax at 50% on Duchy income, and "pays income tax on all other income and capital gains tax like any private individual" according to his published accounts. Not sure where the notion he doesn't comes from. It's a "voluntary" arrangement though.
              One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Got any figures on when he started paying income tax at the higher rate? It's recent- certainly when I was looking at this within the past 5 years he was paying 25%.

Comment

Section 4
                  As a Crown body, the Duchy of Cornwall is tax exempt, but since 1969 the Prince of Wales made voluntary contributions to the Exchequer. As from 1993, the Prince's income from the Duchy has been fully subject to tax on a voluntary basis. He has always paid tax, including income tax, in all other respects.

Looking around, it was 50% until he married Diana, and then 25% until 1993.

Comment

I'm loving his accounts, incidentally. His "official duties" expenditure is tax-deductible, which looks fair enough on first glance. Then you see it includes salaries for valets and numerous other flunkies. Aaaaaand it all starts looking rather less fair enough.

Comment

In the US payroll gets deducted as a business expense. Are you telling me in the UK every business doesn't get to deduct payroll as a business expense?
                      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

"Business"? With all the vulgar requirements to pay corporation tax which that sobriquet entails?

Plus, more seriously, I really don't think many businesses get multi-million pound grants from the government to fund "official duties", which get spent on employing people to iron your shirts and put toothpaste on your toothbrush, and then get the tax claimed back on. Maybe America is more generous in that respect?

Comment

Get them an appointment with Lady Guillotine
                          If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                          ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Originally posted by Bugs ****ing Bunny View Post
                            "Business"? With all the vulgar requirements to pay corporation tax which that sobriquet entails?

Plus, more seriously, I really don't think many businesses get multi-million pound grants from the government to fund "official duties", which get spent on employing people to iron your shirts and put toothpaste on your toothbrush, and then get the tax claimed back on. Maybe America is more generous in that respect?

I'm curious how household staff of the wealthy are accounted for.

I wonder how many people claim the butler as a business expence? For someone who has been threatened, is the security/household help an expense?

Hmmm.
                            (\__/)
                            (='.'=)
                            (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Childcare here isn't consider a business expense, even though it is often "wholly, exclusively, and necessary" for the individual to work. There is talk of changing that though.

Comment

Working...
                              X