Suck it Mormon Church!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suck it Mormon Church!

Proposition 8 was an attempt to make gay marriage illegal again in California and it was written, promoted, and in large part funded by the Mormon Church & it's members. Today a Federal Court struck down Prop 8 agreeing with the plantifs that it violates the equal protection clause of the US Constitution. If it makes it all the way to the Supreme Court this could strike down the Federal ban on gay marriage, pushed by Republicans, and finally let gays have full equal rights in the United States.

Court rejects ban on same-sex marriage

Documents »

Download: Federal appeals court Perry v. Brown ruling

Related links

View documents related to the case
    Court won't release CA gay marriage trial videos - Feb. 2, 2012
    Gay marriage returns to the political spotlight - Jan. 25, 2012
    Prop. 8 backers lose effort to keep donors secret - Oct. 20, 2011
    CA court puts Prop. 8 trial videos back on hold - Sept. 27, 2011
    San Diegans tune in to crucial Proposition 8 hearing - Dec. 6, 2010

A federal appeals court ruled Tuesday that same-sex couples should be allowed to marry in California, scuttling a state law known as Proposition 8 and moving the case closer to an ultimate resolution by the U.S. Supreme Court. An appeal is expected, and some onlookers are estimating that the legal dispute could last two to three more years.
    A three-judge panel of the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled 2-1 that Proposition 8 is unconstitutional and said a moratorium on same-sex marriages will remain in place while proponents of the ban consider their appeal.
    The ruling says, "All that Proposition 8 accomplished was to take away from same-sex couples the right to be granted marriage licenses and thus legally to use the designation of 'marriage,' which symbolizes state legitimization and societal recognition of their committed relationships. Proposition 8 serves no purpose, and has no effect, other than to lessen the status and human dignity of gays and lesbians in California, and to officially reclassify their relationships and families as inferior to those of opposite-sex couples."
    Luis Grijalva, 32, and Tyler-Ryan Allen, 28, both of University Heights, were walking along University Avenue shortly after the decision was announced. They were not aware that it was due Tuesday, but were pleased to learn of it.
    “It sounds like it’s getting on board with the rest of the country,” Allen said.
    “This could be awesome for us,” he continued, gesturing toward Grijalva, “because this one proposed to me on Christmas and now maybe we don’t have to go somewhere else to do it.”
    The outcome was largely expected by people on either side of the issue.
    Hillcrest resident Eddie Reynoso, 31, flew to San Francisco so he could stand on the federal courthouse steps with dozens of other same-sex marriage supporters and wave an American flag as the ruling went public. He said there was cheering, singing and praying.
    "It's reinvigorating," he said. "It's kind of like when you have something major like this come down it just reinforces that love is ultimately going to prevail."
    In San Diego, Mayor Jerry Sanders' daughter, Lisa, who married her partner in Vermont in 2009, said she was excited about a ruling that shows the state is "moving in the right direction for full equality."
    "This is pretty much what we were expecting but just because you expect something does not make it any more powerful when it happens," she said.
    Proponents of having marriage be between only one man and one woman, meanwhile, are disappointed but optimistic about a different decision by the U.S. Supreme Court.
    "This is but step two of a three-step process, and I'm pleased that it's finally going to get to step three so we can have a decision on this issue," said Chris Clark, pastor at East Clairemont Southern Baptist Church. "No single court should be able to redefine marriage for society. That should be left to the citizens of this society."
    Rancho San Diego lawyer Charles LiMandri, an advocate for traditional marriage, criticized the judges for legislating from the bench and rebuffing the will of the people.

(Article continues for another two pages...)
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

As I understand it, a 9th Circuit decision isn't a good indication of how it would go with the Supreme Court.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

yeah those damn CARROTS!

Comment

Originally posted by DanS View Post
        As I understand it, a 9th Circuit decision isn't a good indication of how it would go with the Supreme Court.
        The Supreme Court is more right wing but the 9th has a middle of the road rate of getting over turned if that's what you mean. Back in 2003 Fox did numerous misleading hit pieces of the 9th claiming "it's the most over turned circuit" citing the total number of over turned decisions for each circuit. This, of course, ignored the fact that the 9th is by far the largest circuit receiving many times the case load of most other circuits. When you normalize things to averages so you compare apples to apples (I.E. decisions over turned per 1,000 cases) it's actually middle of the pack.

Comment

You know, people would find it much easier to agree with sentiments if it wasn't said in such an obnoxious manner. I thought this fight was about love, not hate?
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Yeah, but sometimes I can't help it.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
              You know, people would find it much easier to agree with sentiments if it wasn't said in such an obnoxious manner. I thought this fight was about love, not hate?
              Since when did you join the carrot church?

Comment

One of the key things about the decision though is that overturning the lower courts would involve refuting the fact finding that Prop 8 does nothing to advance anything beyond making homosexual relationships second class to heterosexual relationships. I don't doubt that 4 out of 9 could find some reason to rule against the 9th circuit (especially Thomas), but they would have a harder time refuting the fact finding.
                "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                  I agree in principal, but I have nothing but scorn and loathing for those that would deny marriage for homosexuals.

Jesus, I'm completely siding with Oerdin. I must still be ill.
                  "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                  "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

While it would be nice to think otherwise, I'm inclined to agree that the ninth will likely get overturned here.
                    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Killing it is the new killing it
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Probably simply because of the political make up of the SCotUS.

Comment

From what I've read, Judge Reinhardt decided this on VERY narrow grounds (basically curtailing it to the state of California on Romer v. Evens criteria), apparently (from what folks say) writing directly to Justice Kennedy in terms Kennedy likes best.
                        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Thorn, having MOBIUS as someone to emulate isn't the brightest idea.
                          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
                            While it would be nice to think otherwise, I'm inclined to agree that the ninth will likely get overturned here.
                            Many of the 9th's decisions that get overturned are downright ridiculous, KH.
                            If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                            ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Ooh! Let's hear some.
                              “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Working...
                              X