No announcement yet.

The Alternative Minimum Tax...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nope. The marginal rate is higher at £100,000 to £115,000 than at £150,000+.
    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

• Fact: most meaningful estimates of labor supply elasticity imply that the laffer curve's peak is somewhere in the high 50s. Utility maximization wil suggest marginal rates substantially lower than this, and longer-term disincentive effects on human capital accumulation will drop it even further.
      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Killing it is the new killing it
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Originally posted by Dauphin View Post
        Nope. The marginal rate is higher at £100,000 to £115,000 than at £150,000+.
        Interesting.
        "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

• Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
          Fact: most meaningful estimates of labor supply elasticity imply that the laffer curve's peak is somewhere in the high 50s. Utility maximization wil suggest marginal rates substantially lower than this, and longer-term disincentive effects on human capital accumulation will drop it even further.
          Have you read this paper?

( http://elsa.berkeley.edu/~saez/piket...1_12slides.pdf )

They argue against the pure supply side value of ~57% due to avoidance and bargaining contributions (and favors high contribution to elasticity due to bargaining).

JM
          Jon Miller-
          I AM.CANADIAN
          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dauphin View Post
            53% marginal tax rate?
            I am guessing that he is in NYC with federal, state, and city income taxes added up.
            Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
            Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
            "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
            From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

• Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe View Post
              Interesting.
              Tell me about it
              Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

• Just finished my taxes, last year turbo tax told me to pay in ~$8000 in estimnated taxes. This year's return netted me an ~$8000 refund (and the stupid software is telling me to pay ~$3000 in estimated taxes this year).

We made about $10,000 more this year as well, but I think I finally got my withholding in the right zone.

But on another note, WTF is up with FICA. They lowered it to 4.2% from 6.2%...I thought Social Security was hurting? How can this help. Also since this is a social program, why is there a cap on wages that it the taxes is taken upon? Seems like the whole point is to tax businesses and people to pay for the less fortunate, why cap it, make those CEO's pay their full share.
                We're sorry, the voices in my head are not available at this time. Please try back again soon.

Comment

• Of course they should...progressive taxation should be a cornerstone of the tax system, but it doesn't seem to work out that way. And the UK system really does obfuscate how much tax you are actually paying by its ridiculous complexity...
                  Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Working...
                  X