No announcement yet.

Recommend Elok some music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HowTF does BB King singing "The Thrill is Gone" or Koko Taylor singing "Hound Dog" bear the faintest resemblance to...Jay-Z bastardizing Euthyphro's Dilemma into pidgin English and ranting about it into a microphone? The blues (at least, all the blues I like) is a passionate wail, full of loss and anguish and mourning, that strikes a deep chord in the soul. Rap, by contrast, is some guy babbling on, generally in bad English with annoyingly jerky delivery, in a fairly flat and uninteresting tone. I've never heard any emotion in it aside from pride, anger or aggression, because the delivery style makes it exceedingly difficult if not impossible to convey anything else. If I want poetry, I'll read, you know, poetry.

Regarding the songs you all posted, I think I'll be looking more into Funkadelic, and 70s funk in general. A lot of the other stuff is good, though not exactly my style. But who knows, I could stand to branch out a little. I think I generally go for a somewhat "hard" sound.
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

The main song for Elok is... "You want to suck-a-uck... Oerdin's big fat dick... You want to suck-a-uck..."...

It's dirty but true, son.
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Perhaps you misunderstood me, Al. I think I should have said "blues-rock" instead of "blues/rock," to make clear that I was referring to the fusion of the two exemplified by some of the bands I'd mentioned--the Stones, Zep, White Stripes, Black Keys. I do like some blues as well, though.
        1011 1100

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Sparky View Post
          Winnipeg's latest interesting group - Imaginary Cities -
          This ***** is not only a bad singer but she's ugly. I mean really ugly. You need to lose your media cards over this. Personally, I prefer "the happy creampie" where women I meet just happen to get sprayed by my semen. It seems a perfect solution.
          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

How about the Vampire Sunset stuff that KH likes or whatever it's called?
            “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
            "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Dinner, could you maybe sober up before posting in this thread again? Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled that this time you managed to refrain from racist slurs against the people who have taken my wife and I in and treated us like family, but you're not making terribly cogent or, uh, non-repulsive points.
              1011 1100

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
                HowTF does BB King singing "The Thrill is Gone" or Koko Taylor singing "Hound Dog" bear the faintest resemblance to...Jay-Z bastardizing Euthyphro's Dilemma into pidgin English and ranting about it into a microphone? The blues (at least, all the blues I like) is a passionate wail, full of loss and anguish and mourning, that strikes a deep chord in the soul. Rap, by contrast, is some guy babbling on, generally in bad English with annoyingly jerky delivery, in a fairly flat and uninteresting tone. I've never heard any emotion in it aside from pride, anger or aggression, because the delivery style makes it exceedingly difficult if not impossible to convey anything else. If I want poetry, I'll read, you know, poetry.

Regarding the songs you all posted, I think I'll be looking more into Funkadelic, and 70s funk in general. A lot of the other stuff is good, though not exactly my style. But who knows, I could stand to branch out a little. I think I generally go for a somewhat "hard" sound.
                Reading poetry? Poetry is living. It is sound. It is spoken. It is not words on the page. Don't allow a limitation of technology being institutionalized to diminish your appreciation of poetry. I'm not saying you need to appreciate the poetics of rap or spoken word or beatnik poetry or anything like that but understand that even the classics are meant to be spoken... Meter does not convey its power on the paper alone.

So you like 70's funk fusion like that Ramsey Lewis track I posted?
                "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

I like this song by B.O.B. I don't know if it's up Elok's narrowminded alley but someone else here is bound to appreciate it.

Yes, B.O.B. is a rapper. Yes, he can sing and play guitar. A lot of rappers can (Aloe Blacc, who I posted earlier, is another). Like I said, today's bluesmen.
                  "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Honestly, it's not exactly my thing, though it's hardly offensive (I'd actually heard that song, since it's on the Dazed and Confused soundtrack). I favor heavier stuff, even to listen to in the background while I'm typing. Today I wrote a couple of pages listening to "Tighten Up" and other Black Keys songs I dug up on YouTube; I'll probably go rooting through the funk tomorrow, or maybe check out Sloww's link. I like some slower, gentler songs too, but even I don't understand what exactly makes a slow song "good" or "bad" to my ear. It's really hit-and-miss.

As to poetry, I didn't specify "reading silently," y'know. Though I'm not much for poetry in general.

XPost, responding to 37.
                    1011 1100

Comment

Do you want faster stuff? Disco? Or music like Shalamar and Atlantic Starr?

Comment

When I posted this in the music thread, Nikolai loved it:

Comment

Al, I think we have basically diametrically opposite tastes. I'm not slamming your tastes (except for outright rap, you can't have rhythm without melody and call it music); even the Aloe Blacc was all right, it's just not what gets me going. I mean, you've heard Led Zeppelin, right?
                          1011 1100

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
                            I mean, you've heard Led Zeppelin, right?
                            yeah it's boring as ****. Puts me to sleep.

Comment

Well, that's one criticism of LZ I can't recall hearing before...not exactly the best music to fall asleep to.
                              1011 1100

Comment

Here is a minor hit from the '60s that I never thought I'd hear on YouTube.

Yes, Dinner... I'm sure it reminds you of a Tijuana donkey show, but the key is Dinner, you survived and the donkey still respected you afterward.
                                There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

Working...
                                X