No announcement yet.

Republicans vow to protect high school dropouts from Barack Obama

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are a ton of people who aren't a waste. Single mom's, lots of poor hispanics drop out because their families are that poor and in their culture the sons are supposed to help, inner city kids who think they have no future other than selling drugs, kids from broken families. The truth is lots of them are on the virge of dropping out but could graduate if they stuck it out a few more months so helping them avoid a big mistake because of short term thinking just might help.

"Yeah, Jose, I know you think making $10 an hour changing tires is great but will you still think so 10 or 20 years from now?" Some kids really don't think beyond the immediate and having an adult point out the big picture just might help. Of course, it would be better if it's a parent but failing that someone they look up to (like maybe a teacher or a famous person like the President) might be enough for some. Either way it really doesn't hurt for them to send 5 minutes saying it.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi View Post
      High school in America is incredibly easy compared to countries that mandate schooling until 12-13 years of schooling. A problem with the American education system is that their is no respect and appreciation for public education (and education in general). Mandating high school is one small, and albeit blunt, step to changing that opinion. But a lot more reform is still necessary so that those additional years are not simply a waste of time.
      It's a step in the wrong direction. All this can possibly achieve is to make some people who already don't like the system (enough to leave it) like it less (if that's possible).

Oh, and Obama can pretend he's doing something useful to improve public education. I guess there's that...

Comment

Originally posted by Koyaanisqatsi View Post
        There is in a democracy.
        What if you denied them voting rights?
        Graffiti in a public toilet
        Do not require skill or wit
        Among the **** we all are poets
        Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Originally posted by Dinner View Post
          There are a ton of people who aren't a waste. Single mom's, lots of poor hispanics drop out because their families are that poor and in their culture the sons are supposed to help, inner city kids who think they have no future other than selling drugs, kids from broken families. The truth is lots of them are on the virge of dropping out but could graduate if they stuck it out a few more months so helping them avoid a big mistake because of short term thinking just might help.
          This isn't going to change any of that. All you might do is change "dropped out" to "perpetually absent" and maybe jail a few parents (or whatever asinine punishment will "enforce" this stupid idea).

The way to keep kids from dropping out is to make public schools worth going to. Not by forcing students to waste more of their time in failed systems.

Comment

Originally posted by Aeson View Post
            It's a step in the wrong direction. All this can possibly achieve is to make some people who already don't like the system (enough to leave it) like it less (if that's possible).

Oh, and Obama can pretend he's doing something useful to improve public education. I guess there's that...
            Personally, I'd copy Germany's two track system where those who are serious enough (and smart enough) get put into a college track system and those who aren't go into a trade school track. At least at the end of the trade school track they'll come out with a marketable skill like welding or auto repair or plumbing or what not. Right now the drop outs o just getting by students don't even have that much.

Comment

Originally posted by Dinner View Post
              Personally, I'd copy Germany's two track system where those who are serious enough (and smart enough) get put into a college track system and those who aren't go into a trade school track. At least at the end of the trade school track they'll come out with a marketable skill like welding or auto repair or plumbing or what not. Right now the drop outs o just getting by students don't even have that much.
              A much better approach

(And let anyone, any age, take their high school equivalency and go to college if they pass/meet requirements. No more of this stupid wait until your class graduates.)

Comment

Originally posted by Aeson View Post
                A much better approach

(And let anyone, any age, take their high school equivalency and go to college if they pass/meet requirements. No more of this stupid wait until your class graduates.)
                Sounds sensible. So too is the German model. I understand that it is in some way implemented in Australia but I wouldn't know a bar about the specifics.
                "You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."--General Sir Charles James Napier

Comment

Bear in mind that no matter how you slice the issue, this isn't the federal government's responsibility and it doesn't have the right to do this; only the state governments do.

Comment

This is fascinating in its triviality. If Obama used the SotU to urge all Americans to make sure they scraped every last bit of mayonnaise out of the jar before throwing it away, no Republican would think of just laughing at him. No, they'd be up in arms about the rights of the individual American to decide when he/she is or is not done with the mayo, thank you very much, and hold a symbolic vote in the Senate protesting the president's proposed "mayo mandate."

And the screwiest part is, half the Democrats would be bullied into voting with the GOP for fear of looking soft on condiment tyranny.
                    1011 1100
                    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
                      This is fascinating in its triviality. If Obama used the SotU to urge all Americans to make sure they scraped every last bit of mayonnaise out of the jar before throwing it away, no Republican would think of just laughing at him. No, they'd be up in arms about the rights of the individual American to decide when he/she is or is not done with the mayo, thank you very much, and hold a symbolic vote in the Senate protesting the president's proposed "mayo mandate."

And the screwiest part is, half the Democrats would be bullied into voting with the GOP for fear of looking soft on condiment tyranny.
                      I don't want the government to tell ME whether to squeeze my toothpaste tube from the end or the middle!

Comment

I guarantee that there would be Republican outrage if Obama talked about not beating your kids in the SOTU.

JM
                        Jon Miller-
                        I AM.CANADIAN
                        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
                          I guarantee that there would be Republican outrage if Obama talked about not beating your kids in the SOTU.

JM
                          There was outrage about Michelle Obama telling people to eat healthy food.

Someone in GOP leadership really needs to step up and at the very least have the attitude that a broken clock is right twice a day and not lash out at everything because it comes from the Obama administration. You shouldn't lose political points because you admit some good comes from the opposing party. Obama seems to not have a problem giving credit where it's due (his praise of Reagan being the first example of it).
                          "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                          "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

JM
                            It's pretty much the way the Republican Party works right now.
                            "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                            'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

JM
                              Not only that but you can bet your bottom dollar there would be lengthy exposes about the benefits of child abuse.

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                                There was outrage about Michelle Obama telling people to eat healthy food.

Someone in GOP leadership really needs to step up and at the very least have the attitude that a broken clock is right twice a day and not lash out at everything because it comes from the Obama administration. You shouldn't lose political points because you admit some good comes from the opposing party. Obama seems to not have a problem giving credit where it's due (his praise of Reagan being the first example of it).
                                You don't sound like a Republican.

Comment

Working...
                                X