No announcement yet.

Should Apolyton protest SOPA? [SERIOUS]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, House Republicans crapped their pants and officially flip flopped on SOPA which is a good thing. Sadly, you just know they'll wait until the public's attention moves else where before reintroducing the same crap with a new name on it. That's what they always do.

At Examiner.com™ we help you excel personal finance, boost income, invest wisely, travel smart, reach financial freedom faster, and enjoy life on a budget.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

internetz

Comment

PIPA, the nearly identical Senate bill, is still alive though. Hopefully, they'll officially kill it when they get back to work after the holiday.

Comment

Tim O'Reilly

I talked with Nancy Pelosi about SOPA the other day, and she said that the experience with piracy is different for people in the movie industry. Maybe — I’m not a movie producer. But I do know that right now the entire content industry is facing massive systemic changes, and to claim that declining sales are because of piracy is so over the top. Any company that is providing great content online in a way that’s easy to use with a fair price has a booming business right now. The people who don’t are trying to fight that future.

So here we have this legislation, with all of these possible harms, to solve a problem that only exists in the minds of people who are afraid of the future. Why should the government be intervening on behalf of the people who aren’t getting with the program?

Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
          GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

I like Googles protest.

ACK!
            Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Originally posted by Sava View Post

It's the recording industry's own damn fault for building a business around a technology that allows people to easily disseminate their product.

Isn't that a bit like blaming rape on short skirts and absence of chastity belts?
              The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Originally posted by Dinner View Post
                Well, House Republicans crapped their pants and officially flip flopped on SOPA which is a good thing. Sadly, you just know they'll wait until the public's attention moves else where before reintroducing the same crap with a new name on it. That's what they always do.

http://www.examiner.com/computers-in...use-kills-sopa
                I'm not surprised to see Republicans dropping the SOPA on purpose.

Comment

What is SOFA?
                  Mystery solved.

Sadly, you just know they'll wait until the public's attention moves else where before reintroducing the same crap with a new name on it.
                  "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH View Post
                    I assume you've all contacted your senators, representatives to explain why SOPA sucks and they should vote against it?
                    All of my state's delegation is opposed to PIPA/SOPA, except the one Republican who is not saying what he's going to do.

Oregon rocks.
                    Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Talking about Boris and SOPA, I lost my mp3 of Boris Christoff's Boris Godunov Monologue, and I can't find it anywhere
                      I need a foot massage

Comment

Here's a list of the big sponsors, co-sponsors, and notable supporters of the SOPA/PIPA bills. These are basically the **** sucking **** bags responsible for this abortion of a legislative over reach.

Lamar Smith (R-TX)
                        Marco Rubio (R-FL)
                        Roy Blunt (R-MO)
                        Chris Dodd (D-CT)
                        Orrin Hatch (R-UT)
                        Ben Cardin (D-MD)
                        John Conyors (D-MI)
                        Howard Berman (D-CA)
                        Marsha Blackburn (R-TN)
                        Mary Mack (R-CA)
                        Steve Chabot (R-OH)
                        Ted Deutch (R-FL)
                        Elton Gallagh (R-CA)
                        Bob Goodlatte (R-VA)
                        Tim Griffon (R-AR)
                        Dennis Ross (R-FL)
                        Adam Schiff (D-CA)
                        Lee Terry (R-NE)

There are more people who supported it but those are the big early supporters while Lemar Smith (R-TX) introduced the SOPA bill into the house and Marco Rubio (R-FL) with Chris Dodd (D-CT)introduced the PIPA bill in the Senate. A plague on both their houses. The bill's supporters basically read like a who is who in big dollar donations from the RIAA and MPAA.
                        Last edited by Dinner; January 19, 2012, 00:39.

Comment

Pictures of website protests from around the web. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-16608314

Mean while the arrogant ****** at the MPAA have publicly called the anti-censorship protests "irresponsible" and "a stunt". **** you, MPAA.

Comment

Chris Dodd is no longer a Senator. And Blunt, Rubio and Cardin have come out against the bill now.

The biggest surprise is that Barbara Boxer supports it, considering she's considered the Silicon Valley Senator.

And Al Franken, wtf?
                            Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Damn the evil Mississauga Pilipino Athletic Association!! I will boycott their 2012 MPAA WINTER LEAGUE BASKETBALL OPENING CEREMONY:

DATE: January 28,2012
                              TIME: 9:30 AM (Sharp)
                              WHERE: Lorne Park Secondary School
                              1324 Lorne Park Road

Join in !!!
                              There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov View Post
                                Chris Dodd is no longer a Senator. And Blunt, Rubio and Cardin have come out against the bill now.

The biggest surprise is that Barbara Boxer supports it, considering she's considered the Silicon Valley Senator.

And Al Franken, wtf?
                                Yeah, I don't know what the **** was up with Boxer though at least Pelosi was supposedly against the bill from the start not that she was very loud & public about not liking the bill. Personally, this is enough for me not to ever vote for Boxer's reelection.

Comment

Working...
                                X